DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I'm looking into to getting a DSM as my first car. I was wondering what you would recomend me getting a 1st or 2nd generation DSM. I can get the 1st gen. for basicly free sense my dad will give me around $5,000 bucks for a car. But I do like the style of the 2nd gen. although it seems like it will cost more to modify. I am looking into a mitsubishi for a few reasons one is that my family is full of them. My mom has a 00' GT my sister has a 95 esi and my dad had a 91 gs up until '95 or so. Also we have had no problems with any of them. And of course I want the fastet car in school, (the fastest right now is a 96 GSR 'tegy running 15.2 with header exghuast and it was on slick and was striped out) The thing I am worried about in a 1g is how long will the engine last and how much would it cost to rebuild? But if I get a 2g I will have to make payments and my insurence will be quite a bit higher. I'm searching for 13.??'s by this time next year. What would be my best bet? Also as far as mod what would you recomend?

·
Registered
47 Posts
i bought a 97 gst turbo with 30,000miles in january since ive done the exhaust, from the manifold to tip, knfiltercharger, boostcontroller and guage all for about 600bucks and im running mid 13's

both ig and 2g cars can be made to go real fast with little money my friend had a gsx with well over 350 hp and it will beat a viper seen it done in ocala, fl just make sure you do not buy a automatic because youll lose your money in the long run, i originally had one put a lot money in to it but got beat by a stock gst 5 speed and the next day i traded it in on a 5 speed.
good luck
dsmdemon

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
I like the '90-'91 Talons and '95 up Eclipses. Gotta love the pop-up lights man! I'd say look for a 1gen with rebuilt motor and spend the rest on mods. I would recommend one that is NOT modded; that way you plan it yourself and learn as you go! Nothing more satisfying than bolting on your own cat-back and feeling the power of your own mod! Plus, your insurance should be cheaper on a 1gen. Make sure you get a turbo/5-speed model as DSMDEMON mentioned ! I like the AWD :D but, the FWD is good too!
Good luck...

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
157 Posts
mid 13's with only exhaust, K&N, and boost controller? I don't think so. You need a lot more power than that to get into the mid 13's. The FWD cars are a lot slower in the 1/4 than the AWD guys because they don't hook up as well. I would like to hear ALL the numbers from the mid 13's guy i.e. RT, 0-60', 1/8th time and mph, and 1/4 time and mph. If you give me a better list of mods then maybe i'll start to believe it but not those you just listed.

Mike

------------------
"Usually when you go for broke, you get there."
"It's hard to go home a winner if you never go home."

·
Registered
157 Posts
But to answer the question, for drag racing purposes, get the AWD. It's a hell of a lot quicker off the line, and will get you down the 1/4 faster, time wise but not speed wise. There are good things about both 1G and 2G turbo cars. The 1G's seem to be a bit quicker and easier to modify. But people like the 2G due to styling and newerness (??). All the really fast AWD's i've seen around Chicago are 1G's. Plus they will be cheaper than 2G, price and insurance wise.
The reliability depends on the car you get itself. Make sure you get one that isn't beat to **** already. And make sure it's bone stock. Best chance to get a car that hasn't been beat on. Do all the preventative maintenance and you should have no problems. I've seen 1G's with over 150k pulling mid 12's all day long!!!!
Good luck in your search.

Mike

------------------
"Usually when you go for broke, you get there."
"It's hard to go home a winner if you never go home."

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'd say find a 1g awd. Best bet is a 94, i hear they worked out the tranny bugs by then.
Anyways the 1g will be cheaper to get, which leaves you with the cash to make it go fast. plus you risk crankwalk with the 2nd g.

Like others said, try to find a stock one. That way you know it wasn't beat on too hard.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Amen, Alex. Every day when I go out to start my baby I just pray I don't hear a ticking noise when I push in the clutch!! I would say go with the 1G for the following reasons:
1. Bigger throttle body
2. Bigger intake runners
3. Bigger factory turbo
4. Better head design
5. Lighter than the 2Gs
6. NO CRANKWALK WORRIES
7. Factory blow-off valve is NOT a leaky (sp?) POS!

Now, the 1G ECUs have been known to go to hell but that is only about $200. 2G manifolds are better than the 1Gs, but you can get a ported 2G manifold from Dave Buschur for like $250.

Did I miss anything? Probably did. :D

------------------
- Trent

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I'd have to say that if you want the most bang for the buck, go with a 1G. Get a 2G if you're ready to change the turbo. The T-25 MIGHT get you to mid 13s, but it won't live long at >18psi. OTOH, <$1G in mods would probably get you running comfortable in the 13s on a 1G, without risking premature turbo failure.
But I really do love how my 2G looks :).
Have fun choosing.

·
Registered
832 Posts
WOAH

This has to be the most epic thread necrofilia I have ever seen.

You are replying to a thread TEN YEARS since the last post.

WOAH

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
The first gen's just look so good. Can't go wrong with a first gen.
Seriously need to look at some of the dates of the threads you are responding to, this one is almost 10 years old and the other one you responded to was 2 years old.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts