DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rushoakr1:
What is a good boost gauge to get? -30 to 30? $100 bucks for that. is 0 to 25 gauge not the one to get???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got a VDO boost gauge and I've been pleased with it for the most part (see my evaluation of it in the Parts Review section), but I'd probably get a different one. I'm thinking of upgrading to an Autometer boost/AF combo instead. But for < $100, those are probably your best bets.

Also, I'd definitely get a gauge that reads vacuum. It's really helpful in diagnosing intake leaks and such, plus it's more of a complete gauge, IMO. And make sure the gauge you get reads to at least 25 psi.

------------------
1993 Forest Talon AWD - modified

[This message has been edited by ForestTalonAWD (edited October 03, 2000).]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx.
and one more question, do I REALLY need a boost gauge? I mean, am I going to be turning my boost controller up and down and up and down even if I am not even racing??? Is turning up boost really feasable? Finally, is the HP gain from turning up small amounts of boost really noticeable?

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you plan on doing any boost type modifications, a boost gauge is necessary, depending if you like the motor thats in your car. Turning up the boost is very feasible with a MBC, and yes there is was a noticable gain when I first did mine.

------------------
92 Talon AWD
Mods:
2.5" BR D.P. 2.5" Dynomax cat-back, 95 Manifold, BR upper I/C pipe, K&N, Extreme [email protected], Walbro pump, Apex AFC, ACT 2600.

·
Registered
44 Posts
TomTsi is right. I was running 10psi with the free mod, then I bought a halman MBC and cranked it up to 17. BIG DIFFERENCE. I think you really need to by a boost gauge. Take it from someone who tried it the hard way. My sug is an Autometer Ultralight or Phantom series -30/+30. Should run <$100. Good luck

·
Registered
871 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IntenseTsi:
My sug is an Autometer Ultralight or Phantom series -30/+30. Should run <$100. Good luck<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

definitly under a $100. i got the autometer phantom -30/+30 boost (gauge #5703) from summitracing.com and it was like $47. might be a little more now. that's the one i'd recommend also because of the wide reading range, and plus i needed one that went to atleast 25psi or more for my trips to the track :D

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
418 Posts
I got a Autometer 2-5/8 Boost gauge -30/30
for $60(Sport comp.) carbon fiber
It very accurate and looks great.
**Beware of the liquid filled gauges**

·
Registered
200 Posts
i got the -30,30 SPI guage and not only does it work good but it looks damn good. And yes you will notice a increase by turning up the boost. Just dont get to greedy for boost or you will end up paying for it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yeah it is pretty much trial and error, but the maker usually will set it at about 15psi before shipping, at least thats what Extreme told me. But you should be able to control the throttle enough to keep it in a safe area, even if it peaks up for a split second you'll be o-kay. If not you'll probably just hit fuel cut. I bought my fuel pump and my MBC at the same time just to on the safe side. I think its a good insurance measure, if you got the cash. Someone on this M.B. said they know where to get a walbro for like $115 I think. Wish I knew that before.
Tom

------------------
92 Talon AWD
Mods:
2.5" BR D.P. 2.5" Dynomax cat-back, 95 Manifold, BR upper I/C pipe, K&N, Extreme [email protected], Walbro pump, Apex AFC, ACT 2600.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have an Autometer -30 to 30, white face, about $50 from Carparts.com.
it added 20 horsepower....not really

1 - 11 of 11 Posts