DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an awful rattling noise coming from the head was told it could of been the valve guides had the valve cover off and it was coming from the 1st cylinder. So anyways I bought a different head and I used the cams and cam gears off the other head onto the new head so got it running again and exactly the same rattling sound rate up in the head its not different at all from before. So what is wrong is it the cams are something different. Its not knock or anything like that its just a loud rattling noise.

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Please take the time to read over the forum rules, you'll also find that more descriptive thread titles will help you find solutions to your problems.

Sound can travel up cylinder walls and make it appear that it's coming from within the head.

I would check the timing belt tensioner and pully, or water pipe first.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You should make sure it is a valve train noise. Simple way is if the sound seems to be made at twice the rpm then it's valvetrain, consitant with rpm then bottom end. If you kill the injector to that cyl and it changes to a sort of double knock then you probably a bad wrist pin. Could be idler pullies. Untill you know for sure where it is coming from the problem will be difficult to diagnose. Go get a $10 mechanics stethoscope and poke around till you find a definite area.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep I was wrong put it up on ramps and got underneath to listen and its coming from down in the block. Car blew and oil line with no oil pressure gauge working and lost all the oil is what started this who mess last year (wasn't me). Crankshaft and bearings is only what was replaced. So what do you think pistons?

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
If it spun a bearing previously and you didn't replace the rod it's likely that's what's happening again. (spun bearing).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts