DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people

Just wanted to know what everybody thought the maximum boost (reliably) I can run on a factory stock 2G bottom end is? This would be with race gas (104 or greater) and for quarter mile passes only. This is also assuming that all the normal supporting hardware is in place (eg. 20G, FMIC, Fuel mgt, porting, etc.)

On the street I'm content with 18 psi on 94 octane. At the track I've heard people suggesting anywhere from 22 psi to 28 psi on race gas!

Thanx for your input in advance!

------------------
Cya O!
SPOOLIN!
http://www3.sympatico.ca/gstagno/index.htm

·
Registered
871 Posts
yeah i have heard of people running 28psi, but its alittle scary for me. guys with built engines run around 28-30psi. i'll stick with 25psi.

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
You are kinda mixing apples and oranges. You have to start worrying about bending rods in the bottom end when you are making over 400hp to the wheels. If you run 50psi of boost and only make 250hp the bottom end will be fine, but your head and head gasket will be toast. What you need to worry about is the head lifting and the head gasket blowing out under high boost. With the stock 2G head studs/gasket the head will start lifting at about 24psi, maybe even a bit lower. So you definately don't want to run 28psi. I shoot for about 23psi with mine. If you start to notice your coolant overflow tank filling up after runs, then your head might be lifting and pushing coolant out of the block. If you are running MPH over 116 in the 1/4 then you might want to start thinking about aftermarket rods. If you want to be able to run 24+ psi then get ARP head studs and a good head gasket.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great stuff. Thanx for your input.

Taking the observations one step forward, what are the implications for the factory rods if I make the 400hp at 25 psi or 20 psi?

For example, I've noticed a lot of the built turbo Honda engines put out 400+hp to the front wheels at boost levels of only 20 psi while other (less tuned) engines need 25 psi to get the same power. Does this mean that the 25psi engine internals are under more stress than the 20psi engine internals yet the power output is the same?

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanx.

------------------
Cya O!
SPOOLIN!
http://www3.sympatico.ca/gstagno/index.htm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts