DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm looking at purchasing a 1990 Eclipse GSX 5 speed, and in my search for knowledge before my 1g purchase, I came across a few topics about people taking out the "90" stuff of the car and putting "91" parts in. A couple spots I saw "all the 1990 parts are gone and replaced with 91 parts!" These were parts such as the throttle body, wiring harness, among a couple others. I know the 90 TB is built differently and operates just a little differently than the other TBs.

My question is, why have I seen a few people doing this 90-parts purge? Is there something wrong with parts on the 90s? I just want a heads up on this before I buy the car, and in a couple days, it will be too late to pick up.

Any input would be appreciated!
Adam

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Because 90's parts ( Throttle body, transmission ) are only usable on a 90. Its easier to use the other parts, if I recall correctly. Its also more expensive to rebuild/ build up a 90 transmission.

I could very well be wrong though.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I know some like to swap 91+ Shifter/Cable assembly for shorter shifting, but I liked the longer shifting on my 90.

I know there are other differences between the years, but I see no other reason 91+ parts would be swapped in a 90.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The_EE said:
Because 90's parts ( Throttle body, transmission ) are only usable on a 90. Its easier to use the other parts, if I recall correctly. Its also more expensive to rebuild/ build up a 90 transmission.

I could very well be wrong though.
I'm pretty sure a 90 transmission will work on a 91.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Jp90Talon said:
90's = Bastard red headed step child. But god I love mine!

If you swap in a non 90 tranny, you need to swap the cables among other things.
You wouldn't need to swap the cables, but just use the plate that attaches the cables to the tranny from the non-90 car.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I remember reading that some 90 parts were not interchangable, such as the tps or isc. Maybe these things you guys listed as well is the very reason people do the swapping.

Well, at any rate, as long as there are no "problems" with 90 parts, I think I will be owning that 1g here in a couple days :D

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I have a 1990 DSM. Weak parts are the 3 bolt rear mainly. Replaced with a 4 bolt

1990 trans is good but once you rebuild, do a 1994 to keep with the racing part standards. this will require new linkage from a 91+

1990 Engine rods are stronger but heavier.

TPS, CAS and basically all sensors are differant along with the TB. Nothing wonrg with them, but they are differant.

I love my 1990. its fast as hell. :)

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
garychios said:
I have a 1990 DSM. Weak parts are the 3 bolt rear mainly. Replaced with a 4 bolt

1990 trans is good but once you rebuild, do a 1994 to keep with the racing part standards. this will require new linkage from a 91+

1990 Engine rods are stronger but heavier.

TPS, CAS and basically all sensors are differant along with the TB. Nothing wonrg with them, but they are differant.

I love my 1990. its fast as hell. :)
God I love your car but there arent many stock DSM parts let alone 90 parts left on it :p

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'd say find a 92 with a 6/4 combo you won't go wrong. With a 91 swap it's pretty done just to make it easier to have interchangable parts so it's easier to upgrade later down the road.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The 90 transmission can't do double synchros from what I know. Also, if the build date is earlier than Feb 1990 than parts for that tranny are entirely impossible to find. 90 was the test year and they made improvements from there on, like the 4 bolt rear.

I love my 90 and i'm trying my best to keep it 90 but the parts are getting tired and old. Oh well, sacrifices must be made.. But in my opinion I would get a 90, its the quickest path to DSM knowledge-ville...

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
*giggle...giggle*

I am the proud owner of a 90 GSX :D It is 100% "stock." I say this because some stock parts have been switched out from a Laser.

It has a mess of problems...but, the car is completely drivable, and most of the issues are just annoying. The fuel gauge doesn't work, the ebrake seems to be disconnected, the cruise light comes on, but doesn't seem to set and hold a speed, the windows get to the bottom, and go "thud," the trunk squeaks, the fuel door doesn't open properly, there's enough rust to make me really want to grind it out and fix it, but it's not in really visible places, pop ups don't pop down, the drivers side outside door lock doesn't seem to work, it has a 3rd gear synchro issue, and I have that awesome idle surge. Why can't I stop smiling? :D Got it for $1300, which I think is a pretty good deal.

The engine has 144k, and from what I've seem, doesn't drip a drop. Transfer case checked and looks good. Did a compression test and I'm hitting 150 across the board. The turbo has almost zero shaft play, which is strange, because it looks like the rest of the engine bay...dirty and corroded. It spools up nicely, blows off predicibly, and pulls very impressively for its age. It has a very smooth and linear acceleration which is a change from my 2g which gets finicky sometimes.

It has a Laser swapped interior, because the originals were torn to shreads. Unfortunately, a lot of the trim pieces are boogered up with red paint, so that will have to be fixed. Many other parts were pulled from the Laser to make this car complete. The car also has a new ECU because the last one fried. I'm not sure if it's eprom or not yet.

Pics tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I know its been a little bit since a post in here, but I really want to start looking into a different tranny for this car, and since it's my winter car, I need to get on the swap ASAP.

I really just need to know what there is to know about swapping a 91+ into this 90. From this thread http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200119 and a few other digs, I've read if the case is aluminum, or if it's a 90-91.4, it's a 22 spline. Anything after is a 23. So, I have a 22.

What other parts need to go with the tranny swap to make it complete and functional? Would it be easier to get a tranny/case combo? Does the drive shaft need to be swapped as well? Shift cables, shift cable plate? What about any sensors?

I just want to make sure I understand everything and have the proper parts to get this ready for winter.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright, so the easiest way is do a tranny/case combo, with shifter cables?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.