DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. It seems like every other time I get my tires rotated, the tech ends up breaking one or more wheel studs because either the lug nut is frozen or stuck onto the stud for some reason (which I end up paying to replace the stud) or the stud was cross-threaded(which NTB ends up replacing on their expense). A service rep at NTB says it is prevalent in Talons, Eclipses, and Rodeos. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this or perhaps that guy at NTB is full of bull and trying to have me pay for the replacement of the stud (~$55). What can cause a lug nut to get stuck onto the stud, given it was not cross-threaded?

------------------
'95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
152 Posts
The guy at NTB is full of ****. the only reason a stud breaks is that is overtorqued or is cross threaded by the techs. I had this happen to me and the reason they break is that the mechanics are using impact wrenches and cross thread them easily and end up over torqueing them. next time make sure they use a torque wrench and watch them do the labor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fatass92:
The guy at NTB is full of ****. the only reason a stud breaks is that is overtorqued or is cross threaded by the techs. I had this happen to me and the reason they break is that the mechanics are using impact wrenches and cross thread them easily and end up over torqueing them. next time make sure they use a torque wrench and watch them do the labor<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your reply. I definitely will make sure the next tech uses a torque wrench.

·
Registered
333 Posts
i bought that stud on friday.. the part cost me $1.57 from the dealer........ who told you $55? i'd get my money back if i were you.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Hey guys, I'm moving this topic to the Help! Tech Forum... :)

------------------
Mike,
Small 16G
HKS Mega Flow
2G Ported ExhaustManifold
2G Ported o2, 2.5 Greddy DP, 2.5 Test / High Flow, 2.5 Greddy Catback
HKS FMIC (not installed yet)
2.5 CMV UIP
Greddy ProffecA, Greddy Timer, Custom A/F Gauge,
H&R Springs, KYB AGX
VDO's

1 - 5 of 5 Posts