DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i am frustrated, confused, and completely stumped. i'm STILL getting knock. a month ago, i was getting 0 knock, and i have not changed a damn thing, now the knock counts are going through the roof :mad:

anyone got any ideas where it's coming from? here's part of a log just so you can see what i do...
PHP:
2nd gear:
RPM     KNOCK         TIMING        O2      Injector p/w    AIR VOL
4437       0                 18            .94            18.205       6
4687       13                13           .94             19.487      6
5125       12                14           .92            20.256       6
5781       12                17           .92            18.974       6

3rd gear:
4093       0                 22             .94          12.821       4
4343       15               12               .94          17.949     6
4687       13               13              .94          19.487      6
5093       18               11              .92          20.256      6
and that's where i left it off at... i'm thinking maybe the injector pw is too high? i don't know, the o2's don't look like i'm running lean, there are no boost leaks, i've checked that already. i'm out of ideas... i do have a supra intercooler sitting in my garage, but i would like to get this situation worked out before i install something new to complicate things even more. i plan on getting 550's or 650's soon, as well as an apexi super afc (within the next 3 weeks or so) to help balance things out, do you think that might solve this?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i looked at some other things, and i am idling at about 1000-1200 rpm, and the timing at idle dips back and forth between 12 and 13. it didn't use to idle that high, what would cause this? is the base timing maybe wrong? how would that happen on its own like that? any ideas?
thanks

edit: i'm only running 14psi in the log :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is just a guess from a very inexperienced person but I'll throw it out there any way. Maybe your timing belt jumped a tooth or two and your base timing is off. Like I said it's just a guess but I would at least check your base timing.

·
Registered
304 Posts
First see if there is a problem with your knock senser,check and see if it is lose or if the black stuff on the back is melted .That will make it too senstive. Also check your base timing.What mods do you have?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the knock sensor is brand new, less than 2 months. i got it put in with the jdm engine, as well as all the belts changed, and the works :)

i'm taking it to the mechanic shop that did my engine swap today, i believe my base timing is off about 5 degrees... but i don't have a timing light to know for sure. if the base timing is off, can that cause knock?

my mods are pretty minimal so far... k&n with the air box removed, air silencer removed, fuel pump rewire, both honeycombs are where they should be, thank you very much :) i have a 3" turbo back exhaust, 2nd gen ported exhaust manifold, [email protected] for now... i usually am able to run 16 with 0 knock... everything else is pretty much stock for now... i'm just waiting to install the intercooler, s-afc and 550's until i get this issue resolved.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i got it fixed :happy:

my base timing was at 7*. they reset it to 5* and now i'm getting 25* timing advance at 14psi :D

:created:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts