DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm doing the throttle body swap on my 2g and the carbide bits I have are not working for the aluminum (porting the intake inlet). I purchased them at a tool shop when I ported my exhaust mani and turbo and they worked fine but they suck on aluminum. I am not getting anywhere. Any suggestions on another type of grinder bit to use for this? Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You can use stone or paper roll discs. You can still use your steel bits on aluminum though. I'm assuming you aren't getting anywhere because the bit is clogging. If that's the case, then get a tube of grinders grease (think that's what it's called). It'll help keep the aluminum from sticking to the big, and clogging it up. There are also carbide bits made for aluminum that have much larger teeth to avoid clogging.

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts
The single flute non-ferrous bits are what you want to use on aluminum, at least for fast material removal, and then you can switch over to the double cut carbide bits to help smooth it out, and lastly use sanding rolls.

Here's what you'll want to start with, but be careful with these. ;)
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2338&itemType=PRODUCT

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn.. none of the industrial tool dealers around here stock a bit for grinding aluminum. I'm going to try some sand stone ones, but looks like I'll end up having to order one online. According to RRE's write up you can just use a dremel, but I think that would take even longer. Thanks for the threads.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Don't mess with the runners... I port the crap out of exhaust components but wont' there to mess with the intake MANI. You can mess up the flow if you don't get it right, Liquids flow better in "ruff" surfaces and if you don't port the head to match it is pointless...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.