DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I need a cluth for my 2g I have a stage 2 centerforce and its slipping! I have a built motor and every bolt on I am running 22 pounds on a 16g. I was looking at a 2600 act with a extreame disk? also I was looking at a findenza 4.3 so I'm looking for feed back on the clutchs or any other sugestions with a decent price. thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Well, this is a very broad subject, many people will give you many opionions. I swear by ACT. My 2600 and street disk put up with more hell at the track and on the streets than I ever expected, and it still has plenty of life left(limited slip only with Anti-lag lanuches) but people here will tell you ACT sucks and its old technology. The new twin disk clutches are nice at the same time. However, I am going to say look into a 2600/2900 ACT with a sprung 6 puck and a lightend flywheel if you dont already have one. That should do you very well and is reasonably priced. Check out extremepsi.com under there package deals, they have some great prices on ACT products. And I promise you, you will not be let down by ACT.

Jordan

Ps. I do not work for ACT either :p After reading that it sounds like I am a salesman for them :tree:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
MacGSX said:
I swear by ACT. My 2600 and street disk put up with more hell at the track and on the streets than I ever expected, and it still has plenty of life left(limited slip only with Anti-lag lanuches) but people here will tell you ACT sucks and its old technology.

Jordan knows his shit, and I'm in agreement with him. 2600 will eat anything you throw at it, and isn't chattery at all.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
I swear at ACT Clutches, I have personally seen 3 broken in less than a year, not on my car though. I prefer Clutch Masters though my next upgrade will most likely be a QM Twin Disk. Clutch Masters is expensive but its quality.

·
Registered
137 Posts
ACT makes a great product, I have one in my Evo which is the equivalent of the 2900 street disk kit. It has stood up to some serious launches and still doesn't slip. However it is up to your personal preference. I know serveral people with Fidanza clutches and you would hear the same responce about them that you heard about ACT from me. However I would suggest buying a Fidanza flywheel because of the replacable friction surface. For my evo it will pay for itself after one more clutch job.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I was running a similar setup last year with the same mods and went with the centerforce dual friction.. I can't really give you an overall opinion cause it still has barely any use on it, but when used/launched it was great! I remember reading that you cant do back to back launches with it though cause the material it uses needs time to cool down so if your looking for something you can beat the shit out of, run after run I probably wouldn't recommend it. "At my local track, my car is well cooled off by the time the next run comes up so it works out okay.."

I've also heard great things about the 2600 and 2900 from many different people.. Of course it goes both ways though because I've heard bad things from other people about both clutches so buy what fits your goals/plans! Oh and the C/F dual friction seems like its almost lighter than stock which is nice if you daily driving it..

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
All opinions here. Don't listen to anyone for sure. You will have to do some research, see what fits your setup best, then maybe listen to opinions. There are quite a few clutches available to us, so there will be tons of people saying everything sucks.

If your ready to listen to opinions, though, I use an ACT 2900, and have dropped the hammer from 7600 many times. This isn't always the safest launch RPM, but if an ACT with 10,000+miles on it can handle red-line launches back to back, that has to say something. And for those people saying ACT sucks, they could be right. But think of this, if you make several thousand ANYTHING, there is always a chance of a bad product here and there. As for EE, man, 3 clutches...thats jacked. You sure you, or one of your friends aren't a "bad clutch" magnet? I joke, but still, 3 ACT's nuked is quite a bit. Do you know the reasoning behind WHY they went? Or, better yet, WHAT exactly broke on them?

I've also heard good things about quartermaster clutches, and centerforce clutches. My Dad's 68 Slomaro has a CF, but his car is a 489 cubic inch big block. Completely different setup. Some clutches are stiffer than others, some are less stiff but more "grabbie". As I already said, it depends on you and your car.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
ACT does suck, wait let me re-phrase the act2600 street disk sucks.. Mine fell apart at the hub, mushroomed my input shaft and made me spend time replacing it.. A 2900 unsprung 6puck went in it's place.

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
I'd go ahead and go twin.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I think that a proper break in clutch would last even if is a XTD or ACT and so forth. Me personally with my engine break in clutch I went cheap. I got a stage 4 XTD pressure plate with XTD 6 puck and ACT throwout bearing. 15 hard launches and nothing bad yet... with proper break in. I was really surprise that it held up just fine. As a break in clutch... 140.00 isn't bad at all. To be very serious... I look into spec clutches also... awesome clutches.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Burnett03 said:
ACT does suck, wait let me re-phrase the act2600 street disk sucks.. Mine fell apart at the hub, mushroomed my input shaft and made me spend time replacing it.. A 2900 unsprung 6puck went in it's place.

It was put perfectly up a few posts. You make multipal thousand of anything and there are going to a few decfected ones. My street disk worked/works phenminal and If I wasnt going to be putting out bigger numbers after the rebuild then I would probably stick with the street disk.

However everything in this thread is quality, its up to you....

·
Premium Member
9,819 Posts
I've been using a Center Force Dual Friction clutch for about 6 years now. Have about 55,000 miles on it and it's been great so far. I don't really launch hard, although I have towed my boat and launched/retrieved for 5 seasons on it. Never had any issues. My brother runs somewhere around 400 HP on his, relatively hard launches, and it seems to hold up fine. If you plan on making a track queen out of your car, then the CFDF is definately NOT they clutch you should go with. If you daily drive your car, don't abuse the clutch too much, then I think you'll find good satisfaction with it.

Either way, good luck with whatever you choose.

Red

·
Registered
115 Posts
How much money are you trying to spend? We use a Quartermaster twin disk, with no problems at all. PTT is a very good clutch as well; we've used those on several 600+ hp street cars. Powertrain Technologies all the way! You'll thank yourself for it!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Red1991TSI said:
I've been using a Center Force Dual Friction clutch for about 6 years now. Have about 55,000 miles on it and it's been great so far. I don't really launch hard, although I have towed my boat and launched/retrieved for 5 seasons on it. Never had any issues. My brother runs somewhere around 400 HP on his, relatively hard launches, and it seems to hold up fine. If you plan on making a track queen out of your car, then the CFDF is definately NOT they clutch you should go with. If you daily drive your car, don't abuse the clutch too much, then I think you'll find good satisfaction with it.

Either way, good luck with whatever you choose.

Red
Towed a boat with your dsm? o_O!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts