DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to purchase my first DSM soon and not sure on which model to buy. I have come between the 91' gs tubo or the 92' gs turbo. I heard about either one having the strongest rods or something. The reason why im not thinking about the GSX is because this is going to be my first DSM and i dont want to have an extreme car and i dont want to ruin a GSX. Anyway i want the car for a daily driver with a little bit of modding i.e. (cold air intake, turboback with hi-flow cat, and to boost up about 2-3 more lbs) for now until i get a good job and either buy a new DSM or rebuild this one and go all out. Which DSM would be good for me? I dont have enough to buy a 2g one.....thanx

DSMPower

·
Registered
543 Posts
If its an early 92' it would be basically the same car as the 91'. Buy whichever one your eye finds nicer, and is in better shape, less miles etc. Good luck!

·
Registered
906 Posts
I think you'll be kicking yourself in a few months for not buying a GSX/TSI AWD.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've been through 3 dsms, all because I settled. Get the AWD :scholar: I started with an auto, then went to manual, and got tired of losing traction, and now i have a GSX and will never not own a boosted awd (porsche 911 awd is next :) ). There aren't that many differences between 91-92 as far as I know. The 6 bolt engine is supposedly stronger, well, it is.

Remember to do a compression test and just find one in better condition. Look for mods and take that into account.

·
Banned
2,699 Posts
u wont ruin a gsx daily driving and those mods, unless u rev to redline and drop the clutch a bunch of times =) shit ud break any car doin that.

92 went to a 4-bolt rearend wich is stronger, yet a 7-bolt motor 1/2 thru 92, 90-91's r my fav's and with lil modding u plan are fine

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
let me clear something up for myself

Can you guys help me clear somehting up im kinda confused? ok the 91's are 6 bolt correct? and the 92's that were made before march are also 6 bolt correct? and the 92's made after march are 7 bolt correct? and which one of these has the stronger rods? 91?.....thanx

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,617 Posts
I believe it was May of 92 when they changed over to 7 bolt. Mine's from April and has the 6 bolt. The 92's can get a little more air space for the filter w/o the pop up in the way. Really both cars will be very similar. Go for the better deal or better shape, which ever is your priority.

·
Registered
89 Posts
DSMpower:

Just get an AWD. Trust me. With the ammount of power you want your car to produce, it wont matter with a FWD you'll just slip and slide.... unless all you care about are highway runs.

Also, once you hit your 250-300hp mark (which is a big difference), the speed bug will bite you and fast will never be fast enough. I thought i was just going to get an airfilter, MBC and exhaust. Now, the FMIC is there.. along with a new turbo.. along with the EBC... and it will just continue to grow :cool:

Just remember: FWD = No traction

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya its easy to say get the AWD but how do i find one?....its so hard. Unless someone around the southern california area is selling one.

·
Registered
89 Posts
In so-co i think you should see alot. Just be pacient. You'll find the right car ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts