DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have so much time on my hands, I really wanna learn how to play an instrument. When I was in middle school I was forced to play a clarinet :mad: but I ended up being pretty good at it, no Kenny G tho. But I want to learn to play something else, but not something too difficult to learn. I really wanna learn how to play the guitar (acoustic) but just wanted to see what some of you guys play and what you think.

Thanks
MIKE

Anyone else notice we have over 10,000 members now? 4 hours ago, I saw we had something like 9,980, and I just looked and we now have 10,035-holy shit!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some guitars only have 6 strings tho? I know a full set is 12 i guess? Thats a lot of notes to learn how to play :(

MIKe

·
Registered
34 Posts
no, standard guitars have 6 strings, like my les paul.
A 12 string guitar is a special type which has the strings in pairs, where each pair is an octave apart(I think, mabe it's two, been awhile since I messed with a 12 string) but it plays like a normal 6 string, you press the pairs where you would normally press a single string.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The guitar is pretty easy to learn. Almost all guitars only have 6 strings. The 12 string guitar is actually functionally similar to the 6 string guitar, except that your have two strings tuned to the same note. It sounds fuller. So it is harder to play because the neck is wider and you have to get used to getting the dual string under control.

A really good foundation instrument is the piano. It does take longer to get good at, but once you know how to play the piano it is easier to pick up other instruments.

·
Registered
319 Posts
BASS

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pianos are sexy.....did you ever see groundhogs day w/ bill murray - the one where the guy wakes up to the same day every morning??
And he got lessons for piano...and when he took the chick out, he just started playing?
-she was so wet......its hot:D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Piano is a great way to learn. Once you've learned the theory behind the piano, you can apply it just about any other instrument.

I started with piano when I was 8yrs old. Did it until I was 14. Since then I've seriously played: trumpet, trombone, guitar, clarinet, and bass. I've also dabbled with drums and the violin, but I don't have much of a sense for either.

Oh... and acoustic guitar is by far my favorite. I'm on my 5th acoustic and I'm only 20. Hell, I've had more acoustics than I've had cars. (4 cars total)

Good luck,
Jason

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also picked up the piano when I was young.
It helped me learn how to play trombone, guitar, bass, and drums. If you want to learn how to play a variety of instruments, start with the piano. If you want to learn one, just go and grab that.

12 string guitar is the same as a 6 string, it just has the four lower strings having octave pairs, while the two highest have perfect matches.

·
Registered
143 Posts
petedmeat said:
12 string guitar is the same as a 6 string, it just has the four lower strings having octave pairs, while the two highest have perfect matches.
If you're going the guitar route...
It should also be noted that a 12 string guitar is a hell of a lot harder to tune, whether your a newbie, a pro, you have perfect pitch, or you have a tuner :)

Start with a simple classic or steel 6 string. Go from there.

Again, good luck!

·
Registered
565 Posts
cianide said:

bwahahahahahaha

i tried playing the guitar, i even took lessons, but i failed. I found a friend who wanted to play guitar and also has a bass, now im trying that, it only has four strings... and i like it. :rockon:

playin guitar since ive been 9, itll be 8 years this christmas that i have been playing, without lessons(well my friends older sister taught be how to read tablature[guitar music]) but other than that i have been self taught. sry to hear you gave up, i guess some people have the talent and some dont(im not trying to sound cocky, just saying that maybe its not the instrument for you)

play drums or bass, too many people play guitar and im always looking for a basses or drummer(most the time a basses is harder for me to find) so if your looking to be in a band, play base then if you want, later you can play lead guitar on the side becasue its not that much harder(actually bass has some hard things you can do that i cant do even though im pretty good at guitar) also to be in a band you dont have to be that good, and base is easier to start out with, but does have some very difficult techniques you can learn once you get the basics down.;)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Play bass. It owns j00! lol. :D Soon you'll find out that 4-string aren't enough and you go with 5. Then you'll want 6. Then you'll want 7! ahhhhh. lol. If you go the bass route, go to www.talkbass.com . :D

http://quakeman_3.tripod.com/equip.html

go there to see my bass stuff. :)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
TaLoNBLiNGBLiNG said:
Learn to play the piano. I used to play it awhile back. I've played saxophone, violin, cello, piano, and now drums. Girls love a musically rounded guy :D
yea, they love the strong hands. ;) :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
^^no complaining there;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts