DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am torn between the Joe P MBC, the Turbo XS MBC and the Extreme Motorsports MBC. Price is somewhat of a factor for me but I'm really looking for the best product out there. I can get the Joe P for $50 shipped from http://boostcontroller.com/ The Extreme MBC is $100 on their web site http://www.extrememotorsports.com/g1cat/full.htm#boost and I can get the Turbo XS for 120 from thedsmshop http://www.thedsmshop.com/cgi-bin/store/dsm.cgi?cart_id=6508312.32437*CT221&p_id=220&xm=on&ppinc=search2.
I'm leaning towards the Extreme MBC because it is controlled by turning a knob on it instead of a little tiny machine screw that you need a hex wrench for on the other ones (as far as I know). Any opinions? Thanks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I originally purchased the Extreme unit. it looks nice but the only way to mount it is to use zip ties or something similar.
I now have the Hallman unit. buschur had them on sale for $65 a while ago but don't know if they are still that price. It looks nice, includes all hardware and comes with a clamp to mount it on radiator shroud. As for performance, this thing is rock solid. My boost never moves from 16psi once i hit it. I'm very happy with it.
I bought the Dejon triple stage MBC cuz i have FWD and it's a good idea for FWD use. But once i got it installed, it creeped like crazy. Don't know if I got a bad unit or what, but he stands behind his product and I've heard nothing but good things about him.
I've also heard that the Joe P. MBC is a nice unit but dn't have any experience with it nor do i know anyone that has one.

Good Luck

Mike

------------------
"Usually when you go for broke, you get there."
"It's hard to go home a winner if you never go home."

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think that functionally, they're all the same. The Turbo XS and Extreme models may look "prettier" but they pretty much all do the same thing. If you want it to look good under the hood then pay the extra money and get the more colorful MBC, otherwise get the Joe P MBC. Also, the Joe P. model has a locknut for the boost adustment so it doesn't accidently move on you (not sure about the other brands).

I'm running the Joe P. MBC and it works great. I like keeping my mods stealthy, and the Joe P. MBC doesn't look too obvious under the hood...

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a extreme MBC now, only because I started on the car by myself with really no other experence or info but extreme's web site. Joe put my AFC in, and knowing what I know now, I would have bought the MBC from him. He's definately a cool guy and would rather give him the business. Save the 50 bucks and go out run up a bar tab instead. :).

------------------
92 Talon AWD
Mods:
2.5" BR D.P. 2.5" Dynomax cat-back, 95 Manifold, BR upper I/C pipe, K&N, Extreme [email protected], Walbro pump, Apex AFC, ACT 2600.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I heard the same valve you use on an aquarium tank works the same way. Its way cheaper. I got the Hallman and paid $90 for it. I don't have any problems with it except with the spikes. But I think thats expected with the stock T25 turbo. Installation was easy.

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST
Mods: 3" Thermal R&D, Greddy TypeS bov, Greddy IC Piping, Magnecores, dump tube removal, MBC, Sprint Lowering springs, strut bars, Autometer gauges, HKS timer, custom interior, 17" performance rims

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yah, the T25 is boost spike crazy.

I used to have the Hallman, but one day, I turned my car into the dealership (bad idea) to get something fixed (don't remember now), and when I picked it up and started to drive off, I blew off my rubber elbow from my UIC pipe. I pulled over and popped the hood to see the damage, and noticed that my adjusting screw and spring from my MBC were gone! I was now overboosting like crazy cause I had no control for the boost.

So anyways, I called up BR to ask for a replacement screw and spring, and they said $15. $15 for a damn spring!? Screw (no pun intended) that! So I searched around and found out about the Joe P. MBC, and so I asked Joe himself some stuff about it. Sounded good to me, so I ordered one right away.

Then, just the other day, I managed to lose the adjusting screw for the Joe P. but instead of it overboosting like crazy, it actually has a safety against it while I go out and buy a new screw.

I say go with the Joe P., but that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Jack
98GST

·
Registered
64 Posts
You may want to check the Busta boost controller. It's supposed to be functionally equivalent to Joe P's BC, but cheaper (about $35).

Joe

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a Doug Derby mbc www.ddynopower.com it works great, not sensitive like the extreme mbc. It takes about two turns to get one extra psi, I like that. It's all brass and it doesn't draw too much attention. When I go to he track people usually like to see my underhood and all they notice is the K&N filter and the magncor wires, some ask me "what the hell is that thing with a bolt?" anyway I like my mbc it works good.

------------------
'92 Talon TSi FWD
K&N cut air can, DDP mbc @ 15 psi
[email protected] 2.5 60ft

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Hey guys,
As far as MBCs are concerned, I think most of the ones on the market are way overpriced for what it is. All you need are some pipe compression fittings, some skill with a drill, and the ability to apply teflon tape on the fittings. Seriously, all it is is a ball spring valve. A grainger valve would work fine, and those cost $8 from grainger. You do need to drill a 0.02" vent hole, but that's about it. Some guy is actually selling the granger valves for $30!!!! Sure he named them "Super duty" etc...but it's nothing more than a grainger valve.
I've recently seen a Hallman MBC, I'm sorry Mark, but there's NO way that thing is worth $90.
Like I said before, I'm making my own boost controller, trying out some ball/spring combinations, and I just worked out how to get the tiny vent without too much trouble. I have spend about $15-$20 in parts, an hour or two of fiddling around.
By the way, the aquariam valves do not work the same way. Those are bleeder types, and have lots of problems associated with it, ie pressure changing with temperature etc. Go with a ball spring boost controller, but for goodness sake don't spend $90-$100 for a simple pipe fitting!

·
Founder/Former Owner
5,120 Posts
Disclosure: I sell Joe P MBC's at www.boostcontroller.com I just wanted to reveal that so you understand my bias, or lack thereof... :) <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I managed to lose the adjusting screw for the Joe P. but instead of it overboosting like crazy, it actually has a safety against it while I go out and buy a new screw.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That is because of the Joe P MBC's "Dual Ball Design". If the adjustment screw is loost, the second ball seals the open hole where the adjustment screw was, thus preventing skyrocketing boost. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>You may want to check the Busta boost controller. It's supposed to be functionally equivalent to Joe P's BC, but cheaper <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, I don't know about "equivalent" but similar yes. And it is similar because the Busta site used to state... "I have taken ideas from the Hallman type of boost controller and Joe P.'s." (That is now gone, but I have a copy on my hard drive for posterity.) :) Joe P innovated a new design, Busta imitated it. I'd stick with the originator's (Joe P MBC), which is of high quality, IMHO. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>By the way, the aquariam valves do not work the same way. Those are bleeder types, and have lots of problems associated with it, ie pressure changing with temperature etc. Go with a ball spring boost controller, but for goodness sake don't spend $90-$100 for a simple pipe fitting!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree :)

------------------

[This message has been edited by WhoaTed (edited October 03, 2000).]

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
I agree with Ted. I just put the Joe P in and it's great. I had the bleeder style and it kept changing boost due to weather conditions. I installed it the other day, and now the boost is rock steady at 15 psi, every time. Sure, it only uses zip ties to install, but I am making my own bracket for it, although the zip ties do work fine.

------------------
John Lewis
1991 Eclipse GS Turbo

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
BTW, just an update. Got the boost controller set-up and working. Holds boost really well, no spiking, and I'm glad to say that my vent is working. For those who might not know, when you have a ball spring boost controller, you need a vent in your line between the controller and the wastegate actuator to release pressure, or your boost won't hold. I'll get into details if someone wants me to. Anyway, usually a hole somewhere around 0.02" is needed. Since I couldn't locate a hobby store nearby with such a small bit, I used....the head of a mechanical pencil, they come convieniently in 0.5, 0.7 and 0.9mm sizes. :)
Bottom line is, with a bit of time, it's easy to make a ball spring MBC which works well. Anyone want to buy mine? :) I'll only ask for $10-$15 over the cost of parts.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have the Turbo XS boost controller, I bought it from Alamo Motorsports for about $85.00 shipped. It's nice and holds boost rock steady.

~Tranman
'98 Eclipse "GS"X

1 - 13 of 13 Posts