DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its that time to change the transmission fluid. What kind (brand) do you guys use?
Where do I find it?
How much $?
How many quarts to buy?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used GM Synchromesh since I couldn't easily obtain Redline MTL or the others I've seen mentioned in posts. Seems to do the trick, it's taken care of the grinding I was experiencing. As for the amount it depends on vehicle type, AWD's need more than FWD's it's in the owners manual, if I recall correctly it's somewhere between 2.5 and 4 qts.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Are you talking manual tranny?
I use bg synchroshift and i would recommend either that or the redline. Either one will help grind less and it should be higher performance all around. Its about ten bucks a quart and you might need to order it from a performance shop. I just found some at a mitsubishi dealer, but i don;t know how likely that is.

With an AWD you will uses slightly less than 3 quarts. Don't know about fwd.

·
Registered
152 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gsxalex:
Are you talking manual tranny?
I use bg synchroshift and i would recommend either that or the redline. Either one will help grind less and it should be higher performance all around. Its about ten bucks a quart and you might need to order it from a performance shop. I just found some at a mitsubishi dealer, but i don;t know how likely that is.

With an AWD you will uses slightly less than 3 quarts. Don't know about fwd.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BG I've most always heard good stuff about, but I believe it is petroleum based, like Syncroshift. Redline I've read a lot of bad things on in the past few years after it initially was recommended on the Digest, such as it eventually can damage our trannies. I used Redline MTL and didn't really notice a difference in my tranny from the stock fluid. Later I became an Amsoil Dealer and tried the Series 2000 75W-90 Gear Lube and my shift seemed to get smoother and grind less. It does seem to vary on which brand works best based on feedback I've read. Remember though, if you go synthetic, it should be able to handle more heat and abuse than a petroleum product.

------------------
Mike
91 Laser RS-T
www.technilube.com

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had a really bad sec gear and since I couldn't find syncroshift I decided to buy GM syncromesh. GM syncromesh worked really good, my grinding didn't completly dissapeared but it shifts 10 times better than with normal 80-90W. Another thing I notice is that the bottle didn't said the weight ratinmg of syncromesh, oh well... it works fine for me!

I've also read great things about valvoline synthetic, I'm gonna try it out later on. :)

Oh yeah, I'm FWD and it took less than 3 qts to fill my tranny.

------------------
'92 Talon TSi FWD
K&N cut air can, DDP mbc @ 15 psi
[email protected] 2.5 60ft

·
Registered
223 Posts
GM Syncromesh is a GL-3 product. I have used it before but after 7500 miles I get gear noise and a stiffer shift until I change it. BG works until about 10000 miles and I get gear noise and a stiffer shift until I change it. I've run Amsoil 75w-90 for about 15,000 miles now and it's still quiet. The shift isn't as smooth as GM or BG but it doesn't get any worse.

Hey Mike,

Should I be using the Amsoil 2000 over the plain 75w-90 I'm using now? Someone mentioned that because Amsoil is GL-5 capable that it will deteriorate my syncros over time.

Thanks

Bill Norton
91 Tsi AWD
98 Tsi AWD

·
Registered
152 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98TsiRelic:
Should I be using the Amsoil 2000 over the plain 75w-90 I'm using now? Someone mentioned that because Amsoil is GL-5 capable that it will deteriorate my syncros over time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Bill,

Actually I've personally never used the regular line in my car, I went straight to the Series 2000 when I first had access to it and found out the various Amsoil products available. To me the shifting seems like there is a slight cushioning when going into gear compared to the feel I had with the stock fluid and Redline I ran before. I've had a few people buy the regular line of gear lube, one liking the 75W-90 in the tranny and 80W-90 in the rear end on his AWD. The worst feedback I have gotten from anyone is that they didn't notice a difference in shifting when they changed over, but most said they could feel a difference. I've also had comments from others about the smoothness of my shifter, some of that I think is also from the shifter mod.

As for the GL-5 rating, no need to worry, I did check this out with Tech Services before changing my car over, and I was assured that there is nothing in their fluid that will deteriorate soft metal which is the fear when using a straight GL-5. :)

------------------
Mike
91 Laser RS-T
www.technilube.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts