DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am repalcing my turbo out of my 91 gsx 5sp, and I am stuck between rebuilding my 14g or getting a 16g. The turbo shop is charging $250 + $200 to rebuild my turbo and port it. The shop has brand new 16g's for $550. My car is mainly stock, I would like to get my car to pump out 250-275hp in the future.

·
Registered
871 Posts
get the 16g for a $100 more, there isn't that much difference between the 2(50 cfm i think) but it will make it easier in your goal of more hp. if the $100 isn't worth it to you, the 14b is a pretty good turbo.

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry, 4npower, I would disagree on one condition. He only wants to make his car produce 250-275 hp. He could save that $100 bucks and buy a MBC. Just porting the stock 14b and turning up the boost a little with the MBC should get him close to where he wants to be. Add a catback exhaust and he's there. Now, having said that, there is no way I would be satisfied with 275hp max. I am shooting for 300+hp, but I have a 2G, so there is no question, it is 16G all the way for this kid! :)

- Trent

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
You think you only want 275 but wait until you start modding and that wont be enough and you will have wished to have the bigger turbo. Though like said before the 14b isn't much smaller than a small 16g but every bit helps.

[This message has been edited by greenstreak (edited September 11, 2000).]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info guys, I would like to reach 300+hp, but I am worried about parts breaking. I have heard about too many horror stories, snapped center diff's and all too risk 300+hp with my budget. What is a MBC?

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
Manual Boost Controller. Method for keeping the wastegate closed longer to increase boost. Most are ball and spring or bleeder type.

·
Registered
491 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by greenstreak:
You think you only want 275 but wait until you start modding and that wont be enough and you will have wished to have the bigger turbo. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehehe, this is SO true. :D When I had a 1.8l Eclipse, I thought that I'd be fully content with a turbo, AWD Eclipse GSX. But, after i got that, I decided I wanted to run mid-13's and that would be plenty fast. Now with my Talon, I'm intent on running 12's while keeping it as my daily driver. It's true what they say, you can never go fast enough - eventually you'll get used to it and want to go faster.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Though like said before the 14b isn't much smaller than a small 16g but every bit helps.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the 14b and 16G are the same size, the both use the same TDO5 compressor housing. The 16G simply uses a larger compressor wheel. The Big 16G turbo does use a slightly larger compressor housing, though. I wouldn't waste my money on a regular 16G - I've heard way too many people say how disappointed they were with it, and wished they'd gone bigger to begin with. I think the Big 16G is the way to go, personally.

-------------
1993 Forest Talon AWD - modified

[This message has been edited by ForestTalonAWD (edited September 12, 2000).]

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Well ForestTalonAWD,
Now you've picqued my curiosity...Do you run the big 16g? I ask because I'd like to know what your experience with it has been. I'm planning on a turbo upgrade, someday. What kinda lag does it have compared to the small 16g? What about lower end power? Right now I'm stock turbo, but was wondering big or little 16g myself...someday.

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used to run a 16g. I made good power with it also, on a 2nd gen car. I would not waste my time on a rebuild. A 16g with the correct mods will put you in the 300-385 hp range. I ran mine to a 12.21 @112mph so it ran good for me. The thing you need to address before any boost rasing or turbo upgrade is done is weither or not your fuel system is up the the task. To run a 16g or even run 17 to 20 psi on the 14b you must upgrade your fuel pump. If not you will be paying for a new motor.
I hope this helps....

------------------
Skyywalker
[email protected]
376hp @ the wheels

·
Registered
491 Posts
Van,
No, unfortunately I'm still stuck with the 14b. However, the Big 16G is next on my list. I looked at all the comparable turbos, and my opinion was that the Big 16G was the best bang for the buck, so I decided on that: Supports 380 hp (which is just 30 less than a 20G), does not require an external WG or FMIC, and I can get one for $595 - can't beat that.

I have a friend with a white 90 TSi AWD, and he's got a regular 16G on it. We've raced repeatedly, and I ride in his car all the time, and his car is just not what I consider fast for an upgraded turbo ... Hell, *I* beat hime when we race!

-------------

[This message has been edited by ForestTalonAWD (edited September 12, 2000).]

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
There are quite a few 1g guys though that have gone low 12's with a small 16g ported and clipped 7-10 degrees. A friend of mine has a small 16g on a 94 gsx and went a best of 12.10 at 115 or so. A friend of mine was running a small 16g on a 2g and went 11.85 (stripped interior though) but I think the last car is an exception.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I am going with the 16g then, but before I do would my spool up time increase alot? With my 14b, the turbo didnt "kick in" until 3500rpms I didnt like that at all. I dont know if it was because of the turbo going bad or what?? What is averge "kick in" rpms for 14b and small 16g??

[This message has been edited by akiem (edited September 12, 2000).]

·
Registered
491 Posts
from what I've seen, the spool-up times for the 14b and regular 16G are almost the same. Remember, the spool-up time is much more affected by the turbine housing and size of the turbine wheel than anything on the compressor side. With a small 16G, it's similar enough to a 14b to where increased lag is not a big issue.

-------------

[This message has been edited by ForestTalonAWD (edited September 13, 2000).]

·
Registered
871 Posts
no, the 14b has a 6cm turbine housing and the 16g has a 7cm turbine housing. although there is alot of 6cm 16g's out there which i think comes from when people want thier 14b's upgraded to a 16g compressor.

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
123 Posts
the 14b and 16g use the same turbine wheel. Whoever posted they have the same compressor housing you are wrong. They are similar but they are not the same. Neither big or small 16g is the same as 14b. Otherwise people would just buy a wheel and be done with it. It isn't that simple.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts