DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i put a 2G fan into my 1G and the fan comes on all the time which is nice.

however it doesnt seem to spin as quickly. maybe its worn out, i dunno.

but regardless it blows air towards my radiator. is this right, or is it supposed to suck air through the radiator and blow toward the engine?

·
Registered
548 Posts
That sounds like your power and ground wires are backwards. When your fan is working right it should suck in air from the front of the car and blow it onto the engine.

·
Registered
333 Posts
RippinGSX said:
Is this for real??? Of course it's supposed to blow on the engine thus cooling it down :rolleyes:

rippingGSX....... your smartass comment just made an a$$ out of yourself.

the radiator cools the car....

not the fan blowing on the engine...... :rolleyes:

the fan sucks air through the radiator to cool it..........

·
Premium Member
12,621 Posts
Whatever man :rolleyes: Air goes through the rdiator when driving to cool the fluid inside, the fan supplements this by circulating air in the engine compartment. Is fluid flowing through the radiator when the car is not running?? NO!! but the fan still runs if it's hot, Hmmmm, Dumbass!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
309 Posts
RippinGSX said:
Whatever man :rolleyes: Air goes through the rdiator when driving to cool the fluid inside, the fan supplements this by circulating air in the engine compartment. Is fluid flowing through the radiator when the car is not running?? NO!! but the fan still runs if it's hot, Hmmmm, Dumbass!! :rolleyes:
This is the lamest thing I have ever heard. The coolant cools the engine not the airflow past the block. The fans only pull from the front so that they aren't competing with the physics of natural airflow while cruising. The airflow may help but that isn't it's function. The fan is there to keep air moving through the radiator when sitting at a light not to supplement airflow past the engine...if it was for what you describe the fan would be mounted somewhere else to draw nice cool air and not pre heated air from the radiator.......

·
Premium Member
12,621 Posts
Ok, did you guys once see me dispute the fact that air is pulled through the radiator?? No, that's pretty damn obvious isn't it?? And where would the fans be mounted? In the hood maybe? If your telling me the fans don't help suplement engine cooling then why do they continue to run when the car is turned off and no fluid is circulating through the motor when its hot, for added noise? Have you stuck your hand in front of the fan and felt how much air it moves? Fairly substantial, in fact substantial enough to help cool the turbo which is directly where that fan blows. Did I say the fan sucks air from the sides of the radiator or the fan blows air out the front through the radiator?? No.
So give me a fucking award already.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Not that I'm tring to support Rippin (cause he's being an ass) but the fans can be used to cool down the engine with the car not running. Personally I do this after every race at the track. But you have to leave your key in the acc. position. As soon as you turn the car off completly the fans and everything else goes off. If not your wiring is screwed.

BTW, if you don't do this already then you should. Right before you are going to race turn your A/C on low to get both of you fans to come on. This cools down your engine very well because the entire radiator is getting air blown through it like your going 50 MPH down the road and yes a small part of it is from the air that is blowing past the motor but not that much.

Hey, dsm_pup did you get your car fixed?

·
Registered
309 Posts
RippinGSX said:
Ok, did you guys once see me dispute the fact that air is pulled through the radiator?? No, that's pretty damn obvious isn't it?? And where would the fans be mounted? In the hood maybe? If your telling me the fans don't help suplement engine cooling then why do they continue to run when the car is turned off and no fluid is circulating through the motor when its hot, for added noise? Have you stuck your hand in front of the fan and felt how much air it moves? Fairly substantial, in fact substantial enough to help cool the turbo which is directly where that fan blows. Did I say the fan sucks air from the sides of the radiator or the fan blows air out the front through the radiator?? No.
So give me a fucking award already.

First off a properly wired DSM's fans do not continue to run after the engine is shut off unless you turn the key on. And the reason they will run with the key on when it is hot is because the temp sensor in the R A D I A T O R says to.

Second the fans are there to lower the temp of the coolant mixture in the radiator PERIOD..... that is why the temp sensor for the fan is on the freakin radiator not the block.

Third the fan is not there to "Suplement" cooling while the vehicle is in motion, they are there to DO!!!!! the cooling while the car is sitting still.

Maybe in the midwest you can cool an engine by blowing air across it but here in the desert when it is 117 degree's in the shade I think I would rather use my version of thermal dynamics then yours. The only time your theory is correct would be an air cooled VW bug.

Oh and your "Meathead of the Year" award is enroute

Lee

·
Registered
309 Posts
Big Red 211 said:
Not that I'm tring to support Rippin (cause he's being an ass) but the fans can be used to cool down the engine with the car not running. Personally I do this after every race at the track. But you have to leave your key in the acc. position. As soon as you turn the car off completly the fans and everything else goes off. If not your wiring is screwed.
Sorry but you posted while I was typing my last rant

You can't use this method to cool the "Engine" so to speak because the coolant isn't circulating..it will however cool down the coolant in the radiator only in this condition. To cool an overheated engine like this I will shut it down and turn the key ON untill it turns OFF automatically(Because the coolant temp sensor in the radiator) says it's cool, then run the car for about 30 seconds to redistribute the coolant and repeat above step. It will then run again because of the fresh hot water that the radiator sensor now see's.

Rippin is under the impression that it is neccesary for the fans to blow across the engine to keep it cool when the fans could be redirected to blow straight down and still keep the engine cool.

p.s. Rippin the turbo's on most other cars besides DSM's are buried between the block and firewall where no air gets to them.

·
Premium Member
12,621 Posts
90GSXJURLS said:

Sorry but you posted while I was typing my last rant

You can't use this method to cool the "Engine" so to speak because the coolant isn't circulating..it will however cool down the coolant in the radiator only in this condition. To cool an overheated engine like this I will shut it down and turn the key ON untill it turns OFF automatically(Because the coolant temp sensor in the radiator) says it's cool, then run the car for about 30 seconds to redistribute the coolant and repeat above step. It will then run again because of the fresh hot water that the radiator sensor now see's.

Rippin is under the impression that it is neccesary for the fans to blow across the engine to keep it cool when the fans could be redirected to blow straight down and still keep the engine cool.

p.s. Rippin the turbo's on most other cars besides DSM's are buried between the block and firewall where no air gets to them.
I am not under any such impression. I directly realize that the fans pull air through the radiator to cool the fluid. All I'm saying is they do help cool things down. Jebus Christ man!! I guess I should have added a little more to my original post. Meathead of the year :rolleyes: What the fuck ever!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Coolant IS CIRCULATING via convection/heat transfer (heat rises) - when the motor is off until the coolant cools enuff to shut the thermostat. This is why IMO we should come up with a mod where the fan runs with the key off (yes, just like a damn honda) until the temperature sensor goes to fan off & thereby achieve a QUICKER cool down by using the fan to hasten heat transfer via the radiator. The VFAQ mod is poor - why be dependent on a manual switch when you have themo-switches & relays already. IMO you would use the driver fan only for this, it's right in front of the turbo, and yes the air flow off the fan would help cool the turbo a little quicker too. I personally would do that mod prior to a turbo timer & IMO a decent turbo timer would incorporate this fan mod.

·
Registered
309 Posts
So anyway DSM_pup have you got that fan working correctly yet???

·
Premium Member
12,621 Posts
BUCK ROGERS said:
Coolant IS CIRCULATING via convection/heat transfer (heat rises) - when the motor is off until the coolant cools enuff to shut the thermostat. This is why IMO we should come up with a mod where the fan runs with the key off (yes, just like a damn honda) until the temperature sensor goes to fan off & thereby achieve a QUICKER cool down by using the fan to hasten heat transfer via the radiator. The VFAQ mod is poor - why be dependent on a manual switch when you have themo-switches & relays already. IMO you would use the driver fan only for this, it's right in front of the turbo, and yes the air flow off the fan would help cool the turbo a little quicker too. I personally would do that mod prior to a turbo timer & IMO a decent turbo timer would incorporate this fan mod.
Some sort of timer circuit could easily be made to do this. I'm pretty sure there are even timed relays available but I have'nt bought any relays in awhile. On hot days, I let my fans run for about 5 minutes after shutting the car down via the fan mod. It's pretty hard to forget to shut them off cause they are very noticeable when running with the car off.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm not an electrician by any means but it may be as simple as supplying power to the thermo switch 24-7 instead of just when the ignition is on - but - last time I looked at the manual all that stuff for the passenger fan is also powered via the AC switch... it may be that you have to use the passenger fan for this mod vice the driver fan to keep from powering up some AC stuff via some "backroad circuit" that is all interconnected with the driver fan. I'd prefer using the existing thermo switch to a timer - but who knows - with the thermo switch alone it may NEVER cut off in the desert. All we need to know is how the Honda setup works. If they use a timer - so be it - and why couldn't you incorporate that task into your turbo timer if you had one? I definitely agree the VFAQ mod is better than nothing but with the same effort I think you could do it right & have it cut off automatically. Not to be insulting but I too find it hard to believe the kid didn't know which way the damn fan should turn - at least he was smart enuff to ask for help, I'll give him credit for that but - HELLO?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Rip you could actually run a little test for us - how long does it take the temp gauge to go down to the first click (195 thermostat closes at first click on mine) with your fans running & motor off & how long if it's just sitting there with no fans on. The more I think about it I think your timer idea may be the hot setup. You would have it where the thermo switch could cut it off if it cooled prior to the timer cutting it off - but the timer would cut it off no matter what the thermo switch said at some point. It may be prudent to only enable one fan for this engine off mode to conserve battery.

·
Premium Member
12,621 Posts
I can do that in the next couple of days. The only problem I see is that the thermostat is on the engine side and the fan blows on it, the AC fan that is when I have the switch on, therefore it would cool down faster than the engine would. I've been wanting to do the timer deal for awhile, just haven't had the time.

·
Registered
173 Posts
That's a good point but if the engines still hot enuff to heat coolant to 195 that thermostat will be open & overall cooling will be taking place. IMO these things have a pretty good cooling system - it's after you cut the engine off it needs some help due to the turbo, etc, every car I've seen "spikes" the highest temps right after you cut it off. My AC fan is in front of the turbo, passenger fan blows on thermostat, etc. You still need the thermo switch because obviously the temps are gonna cycle up/down a few times before it cools under the thermo switches off point.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts