DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Damn Buck great idea. I know there is a relay or something that could be used as a timer cause that is probably what keeps your dome light on after you get out of the car (don't remember if dsm's do this but other cars do). If anyone finds one of these let me know what it is and where you got it. It should be a simple mod. All you would have to do is hard wire your thermo switch in the radiator to batt. pos. then connect the ground wire to the timer along with the power and ground from the fans and of course ground the relay. I think for this to work the timer would have to be able to be activated by a low power source since I am using the signal from the thermo switch to activate it. The thermo switch would also have to handle a 12v power source if it doesn't already. Other than is and maybe a few other minor things and your fan should operate normally too, I think. If someone could find a suitable timer I might be able to figure this out.

All we need now is an electric water and oil pump and you will have no need for a turbo timer. :D

·
Registered
333 Posts
you can buy things that are made for this.

you either can get one that you clip to the bottom of your upper radiator hose or one you can thread it into water path.

wire from battery goes to it, then at certain preset temp it turns on, and then off at another preset temp. then wire from sensor goes to the power wire on the radiator fan.

so if its too hot....... the fan will come on........ when it gets cool..... the fan goes off.

i got one of these from JC whitney on an older car i had. the one that clips to the bottom of the upper hose. it worked perfect!!

think it was like 12 bux

·
Registered
548 Posts
Damn it lee you just took all the fun out of it. I found it the part #'s are below.

www.jcwhitney.com
37UY8602B- mechanical adjustable switch 170-240 $18.99
37UY7804N- electronic solid-state adj. switch range-140-220 $44.95
37UY9527P- nonadjustable switch on-170 off-150 $15.95

now lets see if you can find an electric water and oil pump :p

·
Registered
173 Posts
The stock thermo switch should work, & your idea how to power it may work too. As much as i hate to admit it I think a Honda wiring diagram would be very helpful. I'm sure that they use the AC switch to power up the auxilliary fan also & how they work that out with cutting it of auomatically with the thermo switch after the engine is off would be nice to know. Indeed if you could continue to circulate oil that would be cool. There are a few popular domestic cars with belt driven oil pumps, I think my Mark 8 has one. I still say the coolant circulates via convection till the thermostat closes so the water pump is N/A.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, did you guys once see me dispute the fact that air is pulled through the radiator?? No, that's pretty damn obvious isn't it?? And where would the fans be mounted? In the hood maybe? If your telling me the fans don't help suplement engine cooling then why do they continue to run when the car is turned off and no fluid is circulating through the motor when its hot, for added noise? Have you stuck your hand in front of the fan and felt how much air it moves? Fairly substantial, in fact substantial enough to help cool the turbo which is directly where that fan blows. Did I say the fan sucks air from the sides of the radiator or the fan blows air out the front through the radiator?? No.
So give me a fucking award already.
The fan only keeps running when the engine is off because it is working to get the engine coolant temperature down. This is because the vehicle is equipped with a due Coolant Temperature Sensor, activating the fans when the water and antifreeze reach high temps. You might believe that the fans are working to blow air on your engine but it in fact that is just Exhaust from the radiator fans. The real purpose for your Engine Coolant Fans are, Well.....too cool your engine coolant !!! The fans turn off when the coolant And water in your coolant system reaches a low temp. When idling at a stop light you cannot seriously expect a fan too cool your engine just by blowing air under your hood that is crazy talk!! It’s purpose is obviously to keep the coolant at maintainable temperatures for your engine block !!😂 @RippinGSX your a moron 🤣

21 - 25 of 25 Posts