DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I sat here at my desk thinking about most of the comparable or somewhat equally matched turboes out there, I began to ask my self WHY DOES ONE PERFORM BETTER THAN THE OTHER?

I began doing some research on some of the newer turbos that are now populating the market. I was not surprised to find that most or all of them were very similar.
The compressor wheels exducer/inducer are close.
The exhaust wheels are also not very different in size. So what is making the difference.

The case in question is, would you choose a turbo that is more effiecent or would you go for one that will flow a lot of lbs/min. Assuming all supporting mods are present.

Again, without any names-there is a certain turbo on the market that has a tendency to produce more MPH than another while both cars have similar mods. The only difference is one is more effiecient that the other.

The turbo with more flowing power is able to produce much higer MPH which is a good indicator of the hp that its jproducing.
On the other hand the more effiecent turbo is not producing the higer MPH. Needless to say my shoot in the dark intuition tells me buy the turbo that can flow and let the large FMIC and maybe water injection take care of the higher degree air temps.

BTW. This is not a Green vs Mutt thread. I am simple trying to understand and put in perspective all the different turbo that are on the market. Its not just about what compressor or exhaust wheels a turbo has, its about how it performs in the real world.
So lets look at the all the larger turbos that are coming out, and discuss efficency VS ability to flow air.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Peak HP doesn't make a fast car. Power "under the curve" makes a fast car. Basically, which turbo will make the largest useable power band for your car. That will make the fastest car. Not the one w/ the biggest peak number.

Flow vs. efficiency is what you have to balance. Air density is the key to making power. Whether it's very little cold air, or lots of hot air, the power COULD be the same. Other variables will be different tho. If you have a biga$$ FMIC and big piping, go w/ the flow. If you have a dinky sidemount and not much else, go w/ efficiency.

Flow can make a big difference on it's own. Upgrade stock piping w/ 2.5" piping and watch the MPH go up. Free up the exhaust, and watch again. Port the head and you'll get more power as well. Tried and true. Even on "small" turbos.

Efficiency can make a big difference too. Keep everything on the car the same and just slap on a bigger turbo. You'll get more power. Tried and true.

·
Registered
56 Posts
lambertvr4 said:
Peak HP doesn't make a fast car. Power "under the curve" makes a fast car.

Flow vs. efficiency is what you have to balance. Air density is the key to making power.
This is what people dont understand. a car with long flat torque curve is goint to end up being the faster one.
What needs to be looked at also is exhaust temp, longevity, drivability ect. ( ya i know sounds like an engineer... I am one. Don't design turbos so don't ask)

why do you want a turbo that can support 700HP if it only lasts 20k???? I don't want to replace a turbo every year or so.

·
Registered
468 Posts
lambertvr4 said:
Flow vs. efficiency is what you have to balance. Air density is the key to making power. Whether it's very little cold air, or lots of hot air, the power COULD be the same. Other variables will be different tho. If you have a biga$$ FMIC and big piping, go w/ the flow. If you have a dinky sidemount and not much else, go w/ efficiency.
I guess you will have to find that balance a stick with it, but finding that balance is not that easy.
If efficiency = more dense colder air, which inturn = more power, then my question is why the "heck" a turbo that is deemed efficient not make the power it suppose to.
On the other hand if you have a turbo that is pushing a lot of hot air, you can make the air more dense by the addition of water or alcohol to the air mixture.

The answer to your post is, Forced Performance Green!

Keith
Tractionless
I know which turboes on the market are doing their job, but my question is not whether or not they are good or bad. I want to know from a techincal standpoint, why would two similar turbo give such different results.
Keep in mind cars that are properly setup. I am not talking about people running SMIC with big turbo, or 450cc with a turbo that can flow 600+cfms.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I say if you can afford it go big from the start that way you wont regret it later.

To come up with all of the different characteristics and info that you are talking about. If your comparing people cars you must know everything about their car. IE: the volumetric efficenty, their bore, what compression, and many other factors.

But if your looking at a compressor map you need to input all of your info about your car and get the turbo that best fits your car and setup.

Also I'm not one to say you cant just slap on a turbo and be fast because it happens.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I personally disagree. Altho there are tons of people that have slapped on a big turbo and then built their car around it, I think the better choice is to add supporting mods and THEN get the turbo that fits your car.

I have seen what a good portjob can do for a 14B. Sheetmetal intakes can add a lot of power too. FMIC's and hard piping do the same. Correct tuning and experience will make big gains at the track too. I believe that once all of the supporting mods are on a car, THEN the turbo should be added. You will see more gains from that turbo than you would otherwise. You may also be able to choose a smaller turbo than you thought you would need and still be able to go very fast. Most likely, faster than your buddy who slapped on a big turbo and is still trying to catch up w/ it.

The other benefit of supporting mods is that they are less dangerous than having a big turbo just begging to run higher boost. You know how it is. You just HAVE to win THIS race. A few more psi won't hurt. Ooops. But if you step up your mods w/ the smaller turbo and work your way up you will not only learn more, but you can also expect bigger gains from that same big turbo when the time comes. You basically work your way up to it instead of jumping in and hoping for the best.

That's my opinion. Take it or leave it.

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
lambertvr4 said:
I think the better choice is to add supporting mods and THEN get the turbo that fits your car.
You are.. the man. Exactly my feelings. A lot of people buy more turbo than they need, or buy the turbo before they have good quality supporting mods in place.

I think the only exception may be the small 16g. It's a damn good buy if your 14b kicks the bucket. Just don't get crazy with it until you've got the fuel and intercooling for it. I don't think it's worth it in that case to shell out for another 14b and THEN get the 16g, when you can run the 16g safely at low boost and forget it's even there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts