DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, check this out when im driving and i let off the gas, there is a slight whistle that goes for about one sec, i thought it was just me but i had alot of friends tell me they heard it. -the noise almost sounds like bad breaks but waaaay softer. its obviuosly not the brakes, and i thought it was the clutch but its definately making the noise when i let off the gas....what is this NOISE!! i it good, bad or does it matter at all?????- sorry its driving me crazy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Mine does the same thing right around 2k-2500k, i found out that it was my Manual boost controller(*MBC*).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
618 Posts
Blow off valve? It seems too obvious, but I have to ask.

Ryan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
maui6651 said:
Blow off valve? It seems too obvious, but I have to ask.

Ryan
Im with him or did i also miss something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
i would also have to agree, i think its the BOV, mine was doing the same thing, but i guess your going to have to check under the hood , have somebody step the gas and then let of the gas and im almost pretty sure youll hear it comming from the BOV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
C'mon guys im not retarted, its not the bov, the bov sounds when the boost builds up, i have a 1g bov and they dont whistle, they "whoosh", this sound comes even when i tap the gas and im not boosting...again it sounds likes breaks squeaking, but much lighter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Sleepintsi, I think I'm having a similar problem as yours.

When I pull into the parking garage in my apartment complex, I can CLEARLY hear it. I'll lightly step on the gas to 1200 - 1500 RPM and let off the gas. As the tach comes down, around 1000k or so, there is a loud "HEEEE-HONK" in high pitch. Most of the times, it's HEEE-HONK with variations of length on either the HEE part or the HONK part.

Have you fixed your problem? <:0)

EDIT:
Forgot to mention that this HEEE-HONK started after I installed the RRE UCIP and 1G BOV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Yes, that's what I found as well. I replaced the 1G with a HKS SSQV with recirculation kit, and the whistle went away! YAY!

...then another problem. I've done some research, and I found that HKS SSQV flutters... whistling is gone, but not it flutters. (sigh).

SO I've gone back to the 1G BOV. Anybody want HKS SSQV BOV flanged for 1G?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
How many miles on your car?
It's the "injector o-ring" which gotten hard over time and air is leaking. Sounds like BOV, but you ruled that out(duh!). It's the o-rings that sits on the int mani hole. You can imagine it gets heat-cycled a lot. I'd say if you got more than 100k miles, it's time. :cool:



Sleepingtsi95 said:
ok guys, check this out when im driving and i let off the gas, there is a slight whistle that goes for about one sec, i thought it was just me but i had alot of friends tell me they heard it. -the noise almost sounds like bad breaks but waaaay softer. its obviuosly not the brakes, and i thought it was the clutch but its definately making the noise when i let off the gas....what is this NOISE!! i it good, bad or does it matter at all?????- sorry its driving me crazy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Yunebug said:
Yes, that's what I found as well. I replaced the 1G with a HKS SSQV with recirculation kit, and the whistle went away! YAY!

...then another problem. I've done some research, and I found that HKS SSQV flutters... whistling is gone, but not it flutters. (sigh).

SO I've gone back to the 1G BOV. Anybody want HKS SSQV BOV flanged for 1G?

sure i will take it how much???

btw that flutter is normal for the hks ssqv.

and on the 1g valve yep that is where your whistle is coming from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Yes, I've also heard that the fluttering is normal. I just can't stand the noise. I almost think the whistle is better than the flutter... <:0)

The BOV must be quite old.. it IS from a 1G, so. :0)

RSR93, I can give it to you $205 shipped. HKS SSQV and the Recirculation fitting. PM me for details.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Good info on the injector orings... A good way to test for this (and other leaks) is by shooting the areas of suspision with starting fluid - your idle will bump up a lil if there is a leak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Starting fluid is another good info, too. I'll shoot on TPS as I'm sure to see it's leaking. About 200k miles on my 'beloved' Talon(original owner). Ahh, I'm pondering on 50trim, 57trim, or evo3 16g....evo turbo can work with stock smic but 50+trims require fmic, and a whole nine bits.
"To 50trim or evo3 turbo, that is the question"(Shakespere in 21st century).

thescamp said:
Good info on the injector orings... A good way to test for this (and other leaks) is by shooting the areas of suspision with starting fluid - your idle will bump up a lil if there is a leak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
it is the bov. mine does the same. its just leaking a little.
 

·
Honorary Administrator
Joined
·
17,457 Posts
Kinda. It is not really the bov itself but a resonance when you switch to metal aftermarket pipes. I have read a few threads on this board over the years on this noise. :) Alot of people report it with the 1G bov for some reason. More so than with other aftermarket bovs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
so that whistle you hear if your driving and the boost isnt kicking in is a boost leak? cause i hear that too if im driving around i'll hear a constant whistle sound comming from my BOV...does that mean i have boost leak aswell? i have a 95 talon...should i get a new BOV?
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top