DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
2,302 Posts
Jeeping, shooting and dirtbikes are much more social, fun and reliable. Money better spent for the time being.

I'm in no rush to get rid of DSM things, but if somebody came by with $2000 for all of it I'd probably let it go and enjoy the extra space in the garage.

I slowly powder-coat bits and pieces of the DSM, to keep it alive, but I have no plans to finish it.

·
Honorary Administrator
17,452 Posts
I still check in every once and awhile. I haven't owned a DSM in over a decade now but this place was such a large part of my life in the early 2000s that I still feel the need to pop in here and there.

Sad to see it so dead and know that Tuners is still so active.

·
Registered
308 Posts

·
Honorary Moderator
2,723 Posts
Xavier, has your 97 ever been entered into the 2Gb Talon registry? Just a FYI, there were only 24 ever made in that color in 97. I do see that one has been registered from Idaho but not sure if that's yours or not.

·
Honorary Moderator
2,723 Posts
I still check in every once and awhile. I haven't owned a DSM in over a decade now but this place was such a large part of my life in the early 2000s that I still feel the need to pop in here and there.

Sad to see it so dead and know that Tuners is still so active.
My thoughts exactly. So much useful info here in the late 90s and early 2000s. This site was my life when AOL ruled the internet lol.

·
Registered
308 Posts
....I'm going to be mad if you aren't at the shootout this year.
As I stated on Facebook, the car will not make it, but my girl and I probably will. Too far out to tell for sure, and the timing sucks due to my lease in CA being up and us moving back to Idaho and buying 35 acres of land right around the same time.

Xavier, has your 97 ever been entered into the 2Gb Talon registry? Just a FYI, there were only 24 ever made in that color in 97. I do see that one has been registered from Idaho but not sure if that's yours or not.
Indeed it has been entered, it is the Idaho car. Only 24 all together were painted this color. Ive seen three other AWDs that were painted this color through the internet. And one ESi in person in Utah that shared the same color. I was super bummed that I wasnt in my Talon at the time.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I check once or twice a year lol. DSMs are a solved problem so there's not really much more to do or research. The limits are the limits. I got tired of drivetrain issues of every 4 cylinder sports car I had so I moved on. It's still bizarre how solid iron inline motors are so strong yet not really widely adopted by manufacturers. In that sense, the DSM will always stand out.

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
I guess I pop in every couple years. Haven't had a DSM since 2007. Still have the 3000GT and G35 as the toy car lineup, and still daily drive a company shitbox xB. l

I have a few things left to do to Red to have her where I'd just be driving her and fixing what breaks. That feels kinda strange - I've never "finished" a car before.

I started doing an audio system on Shakira over the fall, but stopped halfway when the wife "motivated" me to start working on the theater room in the house. (Basically she threatened to use it as a kids bedroom and I responded by turning it into a construction zone. Sorry, not a bedroom!)

I hope to have the theater room complete later this year - it's a huge project.

Other car stuff... I'm helping a close friend build a lego drag car on the cheap, following the sloppy mechanics "don't BS me" build. 99 V6 mustang chassis, minus V6, plus 5.3 from a suburban (cam swap, otherwise stock 5.3 longblock). Car already had an 8.8 with 4.10s in it which we will have to re-gear eventually. Stock 4L80E for now, will add shift kit & converter before turbo.

Current goal is to get it all running and driving NA, then it will get a cheap ass chinese turbo and go make choo choo noises. Motor is in the car, next up is subframe connectors (weld-in) and we'll use those as anchor points for a trans mount that needs to be fabbed up. Then plumbing, wiring, troubleshooting... maybe some driving....

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Had a couple kids, got into land rovers, still have my 1g. Getting ready to start working on it again. Been a while since I logged in but I'm back.

·
Site Administrator
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thought I'd chime in again with an update :D

A lot has changed over the last several years. Worked at the same place for the last 5 years, but within the last two I started a new role as a middleware systems administrator, killed off almost all of my debt (except you, student loans...maybe in about 2-3 years that'll be done, too), and plan to buy a house soon. However, that doesn't mean the DSM has been neglected.

It's not too crazy, but an HX35 is on the car and ready to go. I have a few other things to button up on it over the next couple weeks or so, and then I should be able to drive it. Heh, should. Always wonder the first time I go to turn it over if it'll sound more like, raarrr, raarr, raarr...BOOM.

With the new age of electric cars I do wonder how long it'll be cool to go fast in a big turbo powered vehicle. However, I already know I'll turn out to be the old guy on his porch talking about how they don't make them like they used to. Now I think I understand what my grandpa meant when he said that.

·
Senior Moderator
3,398 Posts
I still have both my cars and still drive them. I'm going to be 39 this year. Been reading this forum since I was 21. Time flies!

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
So...this kinda fell into my lap. Not bad for a free car that runs and drives?

It's a 93 240SX, KA24DE, and it's a 5-speed. It was misfiring pretty badly, I narrowed it down to an injector. Went to my local PAP, grabbed a set of four that looked awesome, and behold! Idles and purrs like a kitten. It has all of 150chp but God is it a fun car to drive. It has a sizeable dent in the rear quarter panel, but honestly..I don't give a damn how it looks. No crazy drift plans for it either, just want to get it mechanically sound. I might end up selling it, or I might end up making it a fun fast car. Who knows.

But yeah. Cracked has Cracked. I actually have and enjoy a 5-speed car. You are allowed to freak out.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts