DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 tsi-awd with the following mods, hrc s-20g, 3" turbo back w/no cat, denso 660cc injectors, denso 190lph pump, greddy fmic, upper & lower ic pipes, 1g bov, new s-afc & avc-r, ngk bpr7es's, sides and bottom honey combs out of mas, screw backed out flush, and all the gauges including an egt. The problem i have is when i go to the track and try to run leaded race gas, anything over 18psi (i usually run 25psi at the track) the car really runs bad, i mean it detonates and pops like crazy and it pulls the timming back so far that it seems like i'm on the rev limiter for about 2-3 seconds if i stay in it. It's not fuel cut cause i remember what that is like. If i turn the boost down to around 15-16psi it seems fine. It's not running lean either, if anything it's a little rich at .89-.91v. I've tryed different leaded gases also but they all do the same thing. Now on the other hand if i run unleaded race gas the car runs perfectly, 25psi all day long, no problems, hell i've even been stuck with sonoco 104 octane and still ran 25psi and no problems. Also on the street i'll run 20-21 psi on 93 octane and have no problems. Anybody else have this problem with leaded?? Everybody else i meet runs leaded and has no problems, even the big guys. If anybody has a clue to this please let me know.

thanks,
bill
[email protected]

·
Registered
921 Posts
what are the O2's whe it's braking up? You need to back down the AFC and I would start at a lower boost then work to 25 PSI. second what wire are you using? This sounds like a ign prob most of all B/C you can run the boost with lower octane gas. The higher octane is harder to light up so this could be the reason.

------------------
Bill Marino
NYC DSM
[email protected]

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm using the afc blue wire mod for the o2 voltage and to be honest it happens to quick to see what the voltage is when it cuts out. i also thought about the idea of race gas being harder to light but it doesn't do it when i'm using 110+ octane unleaded. is leaded even harder to light then unleaded??
i'm gonna try to barrow my friends datalogger to find out what exactly is going on. i'm also gonna open up the gap a little on my plugs because i think i set it around .025 instead of the recommended .028-.030 due to running such high boost....which works really good on the street at 21psi with 93 octane.

bill,
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic vtec turbo
82 rabbit gti

1 - 3 of 3 Posts