DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Why did you buy a DSM?

• Go fast for less cash

Votes: 753 31.0%
  • Pick up chicks (2G!)

Votes: 183 7.5%
  • To become a mechanic :rolleyes:

Votes: 222 9.1%
  • AWD + SNOW = :D

Votes: 199 8.2%
  • All of these & more

Votes: 1,001 41.2%
  • No DSM yet :(

Votes: 70 2.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 453 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
all of them but i dont have AWD or SNOW so i had to pick all of the above in shame.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I bought it to learn about mechanics, and boy did I learn - I know jack shit.....but I can still swap a turbo, rewire a fuel pump, and install a clutch - and most things in between without killing myself or the car...

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
Haa, I had to vote "for the ladies" even though I have a 1G. Most women love my car, though I wouldn't say it "picks them up." I still have to do all the work myself, then the car works its magic later on once they ride in it for the first time. ;)

·
Registered
176 Posts
C'mon now, girls like the 1G's! Oh well, I guess that's why the 2G's are called "girl cars" more often;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I bought mine cause I saw the Archer's kicking the crap outta every Mustang, Camaro and even some Vette's in the 90's with their Talon's. :takethat: It was then I realized that having a high powered 4cylinder coupled to AWD would be a hard combination to beat on a road course. Proof positive as they won the Championship in 95 with their wingless Talon's.

Wonder where those cars are? And what was really done to them to make them go and handle?:confused:

8 years later I still love my car, but she's gonna go bye bye to make room for an Evo.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Got my first 90 TSI by just dumb luck. I was in need of a car and I saw this Eagle sitting on the show room floor. Looked neat, Liked the front styling of the TSI better so I bought it. It wasnt until I started digging around later that I found the intercooler and I thought Boy I bought a real car this time! Later the magazines started to review them giving "BUDGET ROCKET" status. I have never been disapointed with it.:D

·
Registered
141 Posts
No dsm yet, but I will be getting one for speed, mechanical skills (I don't know if this is possible when still in high school), and for the awd in snow. Plus I peronally think that 1gs look good with good paint, clean etc. Run of the mill 1gs don't look so spectacular, but they can be made to look great imo. I am going to try to do all of the work myself.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I bought it primarily to go fast for less, with the secondary goal of picking up some mechanical skills along the way. So far I've spent most of the time I've owned the car fixing it or working on it rather than taking it to the track, driving it around enjoying, and the other activities I mostly bought it for. Oh well, at least I'm learning something :rolleyes:

·
Elite DSMtalker
866 Posts
I never really liked imports, but always had a little soft spot for DSMs because my Dad bought a 90 GSX in late '89 when the first hit the market. I always thought it was a fun, quick little car, but had no idea of the potential they had. I was always big on that V8 power and figured some imports could muster up a solid 13 or high 12, but never what I have witnessed to date. My first loss to an import was in my 92 Trans Am by a turbo DSM, but it didn't stomp me that bad and the T/A was only a mid 14sec car, so I didn't get bothered to bad. The final straw was when my 72 Dart Swinger(12sec car) got its ass handed to it at the track by a MKIV TT Supra. So I put the T/A up for sale and started the search for a Supra. Before I purchased one, I made another visit to the track and seen an AWD DSM from Extreme hand a Supra its ass. So knowing the drawbacks to RWD on the street and on regular street tires; I bought a DSM way cheaper than I could of eber hoped to get a Supra and got to keep the T/A. After buying my DSM long after my Dad sold his first, I hammered his Camaro with it and he purchased his second which he still has. Now I have to say I love DSM and they are my favorite car to drive, not the prettiest, but the most fun ;)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Actually, I really wanted a MKIV Supra, and this was before The Fast and The Furious came out, but they were still out of my price range. I wanted a comfortable payment, leaving me enough to spend on mods. Even then Supras carried sky high prices, particularly for a late model 97+ low mileage car that I wanted. Then I decided since I sold Mitsus it would be better for me to actually own one, so I got hot on a 3000GT VR-4. Again price became an issue, and I didn't want to dump too much money into just one car that I probably wouldn't drive much, figuring Mitsu would come out with something new in a year or two that I would REALLY want. Evo was just a rumor then, but I had my hopes. Then a pristine, unmodded, '98 lease turn-in came along, and...the rest is history.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Performance is the main answer. AWD and turbo wasn't an option for the poll. We don't have snow down here, but AWD is a blast in the rain!

Price was secondary. I found mine in a used car lot for $15k about 3 months before the WRX was to be released. So I figured, "$15k and have a used car now, or $25k and have a new car later."

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm not really sure why I bought mine now. Then: it was because it was a sweet car with AWD and turbo. Now I wish I had bought a truck. I can say it's made me a better mechanic though. I gotta fix something on it at least once a month.:)

·
Registered
404 Posts
I worked at a mitsu dealer when i was 16 and thought the 2g eclipses looked cool and was excited i'd get to drive them. i drove gs-t and gsx's all the time when they were in for service.. I just feel in love with turbo's. I then bought a 1g from a guy at work for $1500 ( couldn't afford a 2g at 17) and the rest is history. now at 20 i bought my 2nd 1g. the combo of AWD, turbo, and inexpensive makes this car perfect for me. oh yea... i'm not a full DSM mechanic :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
mistake on last post.... i'm now a full dsm mechanic

1 - 20 of 453 Posts