DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Why did you buy a DSM?

• Go fast for less cash

Votes: 753 31.0%
  • Pick up chicks (2G!)

Votes: 183 7.5%
  • To become a mechanic :rolleyes:

Votes: 222 9.1%
  • AWD + SNOW = :D

Votes: 199 8.2%
  • All of these & more

Votes: 1,001 41.2%
  • No DSM yet :(

Votes: 70 2.9%

• Total voters
401 - 420 of 453 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I needed a nice reliable cheap car that got good milage to get to college. A DSM was a nice looking fun to drive car that didn't cost a fortune. It needed some work, but it was 130k mile 13-15yo car... IMO some repairs are to ge expected and it didn't need anything weird while I had it.

It was a good little car, I want to get another one. Kinda sad I had it for six months when this thread was started. :(

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
It was cheaper than a 240sx up here in the PacNW where, aparently, 240s are made of gold. In FL they go for about 1800-2k for a decent running driving one. Up here they were going for that broken, missing an engine or a trans. Got my DSM cheap and have been loving every minute of it since.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My 9th grade year in high school about 6 seniors had a dsm and i wanted one. My 11th grade year i bought a 2g for 900 bucks and have been hooked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wanted a super sweet body kit-able car. :D j/k. These things are all over Lexington, Ky, where I lived when I bought mine. Cheap, fast, and good looking. What more do you want?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I bought my DSM because I needed a daily driver. The requirements were that it be AWD and turbo. I have a mustang and wanted to try the AWD deal for once. Now, my stang gets modded and my DSM is the DD. I have done little stuff to the DSM though too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
About the same reason as 281CI
I have a Mustang and I was looking for a winter/ daily car.
the requirements of my daily were: Cheap purchase price ($600) gas mileage (30+ mpg)
and not afraid to hurt it (bump any one in the snow and ice)
and wala my mind was made up for me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've been obsessing over DSM's since the first green 2g talon that I ever saw, after I watched some street vids of it beating vipers and GT500s I knew I would have one someday. The 4G63 is an incredible engine and never ceases to amaze me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In High school, my first 91 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX I stumbeled upon in my Moms friends airport hanger for 3,000 bucks, in perfect condition. I could not believe how fast that 4 banger was, I was hooked and all my friend loved the car. I had to get another one. Now I have my 95 Eagle Talon TSi. I like this one just as much if not better plus its leather. The engine thats in my Talon is exactly the same as was in my Eclipse; just with out the painted red letters. I plan on buying DSM for a long time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was always into Hondas (JDM H22a Del sol)
Traded that for a WRX...(i know, i know)
I bought my DSM after the day i drove home from northern ME and i saw 14 WRXs, and not even one N/A Eclipse/Talon. I like them because they're uncommon up here, Its amazing in the snow, turbocharging leaves room for improvement, and the leather is more comfortable than the GT/CS i drive in the summer.
My GSX is completely stock, and will probably stay that way until i learn more about these things.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was searching for a decent daily driver on craigslist and came across an ad selling a turbo Laser with 22K miles for $2,000. I said to myself “WTF is a turbo Laser?" I called the guy and he told me the car was in pristine condition, which it was but, the car was stuck in "limp-mode". I met up with the seller to look at the car and I couldn't believe my eyes. The Laser was truly show-room condition. I told the guy I was very interested but I needed some time to research the problem. I went on several DSM websites (I didn't even know what a DSM was, I was a Ford guy) and found out through reading multiple pages on auto DSMs that the TCU has many issues and they malfunction regularly. That next day I picked the car up, changed the TCU I purchased for $550 and other then needing new plug wires she's been running like a champ ever since. So my friends, I bought a 22K, show-room quality, teal, Laser RS-T with parts included $2,550.00.

·
Registered
9 Posts
well concidering i traded an honda ef hatch for a 91 talon awd turbo i got a hell of a deal plus a friend had one in alaska and theres nothing like awd turbo in the snow also the first car i went over 130 in... down a snowy highway!! and i love the 1g body style :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I needed a car for college and my moms BF had a 91 talons TSi awd, but was about the buy a 05 Celica GT-s. So after he got his Celica guess who got the Talon.....for free;)

401 - 420 of 453 Posts