DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Elite DSMtalker
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had this problem? It is difficult to get your car to go into 1st gear when you first turn your car on (keep in mind I have a turbo timer so my car is always in neutral when its off, then I have to put it into first). I ALWAYS have trouble doing this, and I either have to let my car roll forward slightly and then it will go in, or I have to let off of the clutch pedal and then press it in again and then try it again, and it always goes in after that. Any ideas as to what the hell is going on? I have noticed its not just our DSMs that do this but other cars as well. Just curious of what the problem is, and how I can fix it.

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,617 Posts
Repeated pumping of the clutch to get it to operate means you have a hydraulic leak. Most likely you master clutch cylinder. I recommend you change the slave cylinder and get a ss clutch line at the same time. This is pretty common, your local parts supplier can sell you the mcc and sc for ~100 and the ss clutch line can be found for $15-20 from various dsm shops.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I don't think what he is descibing is a clutch disengagment problem. My car does the same friggin thing. It's not that the clutch won't disengage, the car just will not go into 1st gear. You can get into the other gears just fine or as he said, roll it forward a little bit to "line up the gears" and it pops in.

I also notice myself letting the clutch out ever so slightly to get a TINY grind if any at all and it pops into gear.

My syncro's are fine, I can shift the car fast as heck with no problems under full power. However my shifter cable bushings are worn pretty bad and there is a lot of slop in the cables so the shifter doesn't line up just right. I'm thinking it's that (I have a new set to go in) or that end nut on the gearset is starting to back off. I've tried adjusting the cables and it got a little better but they still have a ton of slop.

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,617 Posts
Jay try revving the car I mean revving, holding it around 6k on a flat surface with the clutch pressed all the way down and the car in gear. I bet it'll creep forward. I already went through this. I'm also guessing the clutch grabs right off the floor. Also check on the inside of your firewall by the mcc. You'll probably find a wetness on it.

The other gears don't seem difficult to shift into, because the synchro's can grab the disc even though its still slightly engaged. The other gears are really doing the same thing, its just that the tranny is having a much easier time rpm matching the engine. Give it a try.

·
Registered
463 Posts
No no no...I'm telling you the clutch is disengaging fine. I have the stock clutch still and the pedal is high.

If you put pressure on the shifter while it's hung up, and start to release the clutch you can feel the gears start to turn, it lines up and "plunk" goes right into gear.

I know what you are saying, and that's not the case with my car.

It does it on downshifts into first too, if you rev match it's okay. It happens sporadically, and in fact does it more when I try and shift slow! It I just wack it into gear quick but not hard (No forcing) it's fine 98% of the time. It's hard to explain but sometimes it just "hangs up" and sorta feels like it's in two gears.

I had the problem you describe in a 91 I had for a few months. It's not the same.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I know exactly what you mean about the gears. I used to have it really bad and then I raised my clutch and it got much better but on occassion it'll stick, especially in reverse.

What I usually do is rock the shifter side to side (read wiggle, it sounds worse than it is...) and it'll slide in or I'll "walk it in" by going into 2nd then first. With reverse I usually just slightly let out the clutch and it'll "kachunk" in.

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,617 Posts
Gotcha. Did you get the shifter bushing kit too. Also make sure you have the cable bracket tightened down on the tranny. I used to have a hard time getting into reverse and did the roll and slide into gear (didn't need to grind it), but thats cause my shifter was hitting the bump stops. If its happening in both 1st and Rev. though, I don't think its the shifter that needs adjusting (since those are extreme opposites).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Jay try revving the car I mean revving, holding it around 6k on a flat surface with the clutch pressed all the way down and the car in gear. I bet it'll creep forward. I already went through this. I'm also guessing the clutch grabs right off the floor. Also check on the inside of your firewall by the mcc. You'll probably find a wetness on it.

It sounds like your clutch is like mine. WHen I rev the car in gear w/ the clutch pushed in, it will creep forward. My Master/Slave cylinder are leaking. Once I replace those, I'll be able to adjust the rod under the steering column. Yes my clutch engages right on the floor. I replaced my stocker w/ a 2600#er & it's just eating up all my weak links. Love tha DSM's!

Rob

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,617 Posts
turbofwdtsi said:

It sounds like your clutch is like mine. WHen I rev the car in gear w/ the clutch pushed in, it will creep forward. My Master/Slave cylinder are leaking. Once I replace those, I'll be able to adjust the rod under the steering column. Yes my clutch engages right on the floor. I replaced my stocker w/ a 2600#er & it's just eating up all my weak links. Love tha DSM's!

Rob
Don't take your time fixing this or you'll be putting another clutch in very shortly. Remember when your sitting at the light to have the shifter in neutral. Which eventually will get to be a pain to put back in gear if you wait til your stopped. You can still back the pushrod out all the way, this will help somewhat as well. But don't think that fixed the problem, cause it will come back worse.

·
Premium Member
3,398 Posts
I have this same problem...
iTs like the shifter will go halfway into first.
If Im rolling it only takes a second for it to fall in the rest of the way. If im stopped I usually have to let up on the clutch pedal slightly and it falls in. It is not an engagement problem, I sat at a drag light for about 30 seconds at 4500 without budging an inch(damn klamath and his blown ic pipe)

Reverse always grinds, so I always do a 4th then reverse for that.
My clutch engagement is great, 1/3 of the floor it begins to grab by 2/3 its more than fully engaged.

I wonder if anyone else has this problem???
If I drive long distances(2 hours+ without shifting) at high rpm(3500 rpm in 5th) when I go to shift I always grind because Ill notice my engagement point has dropped... Im guessing the diaphram is getting sucked in due to centrifugal force and getting stuck.

My engagement point also changes over night.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Just out of curiosity, try this. Put your car on jack stands and start our car with it in neutral. Do the tires spin? It is definite proof of dsm's not dis-engaging "completly".

·
Elite DSMtalker
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is not a "disengagement" problem. The clutch fluid is absolutely fine, and I can guarantee you that the clutch is fine. I belive it is something more with the tranny than the clutch, as it is not just my car that does is, It is also other makes of car that does as my friend "capri" does this as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I may be wrong cause I have never taken apartthe trannie but my dad who was a mechanic for many years has always told me that there are no syncronisers in first or reverse. This is correct right? Anyway my 97 GS-T Spyder and my old 95 GS-T do the same thing.... My friend has a 95 Talon AWD it does it too I have had my Spyder since it was 18k miles new ran Redline MTL ever since I got it..... I dont think its anything to worry about.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Mr.BarTender said:
I may be wrong cause I have never taken apartthe trannie but my dad who was a mechanic for many years has always told me that there are no syncronisers in first or reverse. This is correct right?
Nope, that is incorrect!

I was just making a suggestion that is all. If many cars are doing it then it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

One possible reason could be that after the car has sat and if it was not in gear or it was in another gear, the teeth on the sleeve may not be lined up with the gear or synchro, stopping it from engaging. When you roll the car a touch or such it'll align and slide right in.

·
Elite DSMtalker
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
countersniper said:

Nope, that is incorrect!

I was just making a suggestion that is all. If many cars are doing it then it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

One possible reason could be that after the car has sat and if it was not in gear or it was in another gear, the teeth on the sleeve may not be lined up with the gear or synchro, stopping it from engaging. When you roll the car a touch or such it'll align and slide right in.
So there is no fix? I wasnt worried about something being "wrong" so to speak, but rather I wanted it to work perfect and feel nice everytime, instead of being difficult.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Hey my car does the same thing, I mainly notice it in reverse, because I have to back out every morning to go to work.. Most of the time I can push in the clutch, then pull towards reverse. If it only "halfway" goes in, then I let out the clutch SLIGHTLY so it begins to grab and rolls the car backwrds a little. The gears then line up and it pops into gear. I also can't normally downshift into first unless I am going very slow and it sometimes goes in about halfway then it will pop all the way in. It's a pain but I've gotten used to it by now. Off the subject a little, does anyone know how hard it is to change the throwout bearing? Mine is beginning to squeak a little, and I hear it will just get worse.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had same prob - did the cable adjustment VFAQ at the shifter - replaced the missing & loose fasteners at the shifter cable to transmission bracket (right on top of the tranny) - & it's healed.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Quote from owner's manual:
"If it is hard to shift into first, depress the clutch pedal again;the shift can then easily be made."
Apparently its just the way the car is. And sometimes you gotta let up on the clutch slightly and put it in gear. That shit works too.

·
Elite DSMtalker
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Otis said:
Quote from owner's manual:
"If it is hard to shift into first, depress the clutch pedal again;the shift can then easily be made."
Apparently its just the way the car is. And sometimes you gotta let up on the clutch slightly and put it in gear. That shit works too.
Weird, I dont remember reading that in my manual. Im still curious as to why this happens, what makes it difficult.

·
Registered
165 Posts
mine wasnt disengauging all the way. in the shop getting new master cylender as we speak. car always grinded into reverse and almost jumped. i got act 2600 clutch, and it wont go into gear at all, we looked by the pedal and its leaking there. new master cylender on the way !!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts