DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, okay, I hooked up my *new* Auto Meter A/F ratio gauge to this wire under my dashboard (right where DSM.org said it would be) and the gauge seemed to work fine. The next time I start my car, one of the LEDs is not working. Strange. My car sits the next day, I have no life. The next day (today), I drive to work, the gauge is not even lighting up (yes, I have a good ground and power supply) Then, to make matters worse, (murphy maybe?) my check engine light comes on. (coincidence? I think not.) I disconnect the wire, drive it again, light goes off, problem solved. EXCEPT, now I have the meter, but can't use it.

Bottom line: Is the meter bad, or is my car possessed? Any help is appreciated...

John

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I would hook up another air fuel gauge in its place. It is possible you got a bad gauge. Also, you should use a scan tool to find out what that check engine light is from next time. Could shed some light on the problem.

------------------
-Brian
Project GSX
http://www.projectgsx.com/

·
Registered
61 Posts
Don't really know if the 2 things are related or not. But it might be a coincedence. Try another guage. Maybe the wire that you ae hooking it up to has a short somewhere in the line. And it only affects it when you are trying to read the o2 voltage.

------------------

·
Registered
7 Posts
You are supposed to install an inline fuse (5amp) in the power wire of the Auto Meter A/F gauge. If you didn't, you may have shorted out your gauge - and i agree with the other two replies, you proably need a new gauge. PUT THAT FUSE IN - it will save you $50!

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, gonna replace the gauge. Just it's a pain to pull that thing out and put a new one in. Also, I did use a fuse, always do. You all just confirmed my suspician that the gauge is shot, good thing the Summit Racing store is right around the corner...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem, but is it possible that your connection to the O2 sensor was bad? I don't know how you spliced the connection but sometimes when using the crimp connectors it is possible to frey the wires and cause a short. Maybe you should check to make sure that the o2 wire leading to the computer is not cut or freyed in any way.

------------------
Brian P.
Best time: won't even try until I get a decent turbo

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I found the problem. The wire going to my o2 sensor was crushed when I put the screw back in for the lower part of the dashboard. The screw pierced the rubber and was shorting the wire to ground. I found this out when I took out the old gauge to exchange it for a new one. New one works great, problems olsved. Thanks for the help!

------------------
John Lewis
1991 Eclipse GS Turbo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts