DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for maby 9 inch wide tires.... would it be possible? Im thinking that with a widebody kit it could work, but, would the mechanics work? I dont know whats goin on in the wheel well, Im more of an engine man myself...

·
Registered
384 Posts
:rolleyes:

trying to get a second opinion?

they dont even make widebody kits for 1G's. there is a pic floating around of a car with fender flares. not sure how well that works or where to get them.

like i asked before, why do you want tires that wide? it wont help grip or handling.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
im not positive either but i think that the problem is the wheel rubs on the inside (against the engine side) of the wheel well, if you go larger than a 225 wide tire. you would have to change the offset and that would cause premature wheel bearing failure. thats been my understanding.:cool:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
antilles:

of course, the fender flares would be custom, cause I dont see too many quality body kits out there for the 1g dsm.

it will definatly help, because I want to have the stick of slick and the life of an all season. also, Im formerly an RX-7 person, and I just cant stand the look of cars with skinny tires.... If I had a choice, my car would look like a DTM!

now here is my thing... if I just get a diffrent offset, so that the width starts expanding away from the car and NOT towards the car, I can keep it from rubbing. the wheel bearing I didnt think about, but Im sure there are ways to get around it :)

og, and antilles, wider tires ALWAYS help handling, no matter what.

·
Registered
179 Posts

og, and antilles, wider tires ALWAYS help handling, no matter what. [/B]

not true; if you have 255's on 6 inch wide wheels your car will handle like poop

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doug96GS said:

not true; if you have 255's on 6 inch wide wheels your car will handle like poop
so get wider wheels.... did you think I meant that I was gonna run stock wheels?

·
Registered
179 Posts
You should have said that then. It sounded like you thought that you could put the widest tire on any wheel and it would handle well.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Doug96GS said:
You should have said that then. It sounded like you thought that you could put the widest tire on any wheel and it would handle well.

Ugh some people... in answer to your question ZSP, basically with hubcentric spacers and offsets you should be able to manage quite a bit wider tires... however... hubcentrics can get expensive...

*edit* just had to double check and make sure I covered all the -exact specifics- here as to not get a pointless reply *edit*

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tekky_98_TSi said:

in answer to your question ZSP, basically with hubcentric spacers and offsets you should be able to manage quite a bit wider tires... however... hubcentrics can get expensive...

ah, finally, the answer I was looking for :)

waitasecond... I know what spacers are, but what is a hubcentric spacer? or is hubcentric just a fancy word that doesnt mean anything? :)

ooooh, cool new smilies.... I love hristmas :santa: :rudolph: :tree:

·
Registered
943 Posts
quite likely the same thing, I know you can make hub centrics yourself out of proper grade plastics... but I also know they can be a pain, my buddy is selling some rims he just acquired for his 91'ish TT Stealth because the spacers to get them on were gonna run him an arm and a leg considering he got the rims in a trade....

I always run rims that fit stock lugs though :p

*edit* bah, you can make phonelic (sp?) spacers outta plastic... I'm tired... I'd have to bug someone on the CoDSM list to repost the thread or a link to the archive since I cant access it from work... but I could get you more info on that prolly if you cant dig it up...*edit*

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hubcentric spacers are different than "plain old" spacers.

If you remove one of you wheels, you'll notice the center of the mounting hub has a small "lip". Your stock DSM wheels have a "centerbore" section of the wheel that mates up perfectly with this lip. This is a hubcentric setup - the hub more accurately centers the wheel on the lugs, making for a better fit.

When you use a plain spacer, you generally space the wheel out too far for the original hub centering ring to do anything - you rely purely on the lugs to center the wheel, and to support all the weight of the car.

A hubcentric spacer has a hub "lip" like the original hub, making for a centered fit, like the original wheel/hub combo. The hub also supports some of the weight of the car.

H&R makes very nice aluminum hubcentric spacers, but they're about $50 a corner. That does include longer wheel studs, though.

None of this is relevant unless you're using a hubcentric wheel. Most aftermarket wheels have large centerbores, and then they make you buy plastic or aluminum centering rings that reduce the size of the centerbore to your stock size. If you have the option, the aluminum ones are clearly superior. However, I've been auto-xing on plastic ones all season with no problems.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow, thanks tomfree, that was REALLY helpful.

not only did you edumacate me, you told me how to solve my problem...

If all your posts are as good as this, I think you oughta be a wiseman

1 - 12 of 12 Posts