DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lurked and searched but cant find an answer to my question. Hopefully thats because its intuitively obvious in the affirmative.

The question is, Will a motor from a 2g car with a 5 spd trans(specifically 95 Talon), fit and work properly in a 2g car (another 95 Talon) that has an automatic.

You see, I have 2 2g's. One with an automatic and a bad motor. The other has a 5spd and a good motor. Both are 95 Talons. I want to take the motor from the 5spd and put it into the auto. Then rebuild the bad motor.

Engine specs appear to be same for auto and 5spd. Tho I have been told that the motor for the auto was detuned by the factory.

Is the flywheel the same for both? Can I simple put the flexplate on the motor from 5spd? Or is there something different about the crank that will prevent this?

Thanks for any and all help.
PS - this is my first post(hope I found the right forum). I have been reading the boards for a couple of months and have learned alot. What a great source of info and great posters too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, both motors are the same and will fit/work/bolt up just fine.
The only difference between the two engines is a bushing that
is installed in the crankshaft.

If you are putting an M/T engine in an A/T car you need to buy the bushing from your favorite Mitsu dealer and install.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VRC - Thanks for the reply.....

The car from which the bad motor is being removed has an A/T. So I'll use the crank bushing from it.

Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
264 Posts
vol96 said:

The car from which the bad motor is being removed has an A/T. So I'll use the crank bushing from it.
This is a little off topic but what happened to your 2g Auto motor?
Do you know what caused it to go bad?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spun a rod bearing and also had bad rear main bearing. Can only assume that low/loack of oil caused the prob. Oil pressure (per idiot guage) was OK when started knocking.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Correct...A/T has no flywheel. Has a flex plate bolted which bolts to the crank and the torque converter. TC has ring gear for starter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is installing the Crankshaft bushing very difficult? It would be helpful if someone could describe the process, I have a M/T Motor I need to install as well. Any special tools needed?

Here are some pictures of what happened to my motor if anyone wants to check it out. Valve dropped into a piston. Althogh the bearings on the rod look chewed.
http://photos.yahoo.com/vr6rado

Thanks,

Jason

1 - 9 of 9 Posts