DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this has been a problem for quite a while and I've had too many other problems that were more important, but not having wiper fluid capability is really annoying when dirty water from the road sprays up and your visibilty disappears. So I'm finally going to try to fix it.

Here's what happens: I pull the wiper arm at the steering wheel to spray fluid, and the wipers automatically come on but no fluid comes out. The fluid reservoir is full, by the way.

I have a 1997 Spyder GS-T. What I need to know is....does this sound like the fluid pump went bad? and if so where is the pump located? Or could this be an electrical/fuse problem? I could only find one other thread about this and the guy never posted a solution, plus stuff might be in a different place on the Spyder I don't know. No VFAQ on this either, and apparently 1000AAQ's is down now. I wish I had a Chilton's, but that's what you guys are for ;) Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,819 Posts
You can do a couple of things. A multimeter would be helpful. First check all the lines to make sure everything is attached. Next you'll need to get to the bottom of the reservior. Disconnect the motor and put the leads of the MM in the two slots. Have someone activate the washer switch and see if you get voltage. If you do, then the switch is not your problem. It will most likely be the motor. You'll need to get a replacement motor or whole assembly from a boneyard.

Oh one more thing, use a small needle or pin to push through the holes in the washer nozzles. You can also use the pin to re-direct the washer spray. Just be sure NOT TO BREAK THE NEEDLE OFF! It can happen.

Anyway, good luck and let us know what you find.

L8R

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I do have a multimeter. So you're saying the motor is under the reservoir? Do you think autozone or a similar store would sell a replacement? There are never DSM's in the junkyard around here.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok guys problem is solved. I used the multimeter and it read 11.47 volts at the pump, so wiring was fine and the pump was obviously shot. I called the dealer and they said a new pump is $40 and has to be ordered in. I called Advance Auto Parts and they had it in stock for $22. Lol I hate the dealership. Anyway it took about 5 minutes to remove the old one and swap the new one in and it works perfectly. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread, I just ordered a washer pump for my '97 Spyder from AAP, the same as ssearles. $13.99 for their "ACI Windshield Washer Pump #173690", with my 20% online discount, a grand total of $11.19. And the store is right outside my subdivision and on my way home. Limited lifetime replacement warranty.

Sweet!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok, this has been a problem for quite a while and I've had too many other problems that were more important, but not having wiper fluid capability is really annoying when dirty water from the road sprays up and your visibilty disappears. So I'm finally going to try to fix it.

Here's what happens: I pull the wiper arm at the steering wheel to spray fluid, and the wipers automatically come on but no fluid comes out. The fluid reservoir is full, by the way.

I have a 1997 Spyder GS-T. What I need to know is....does this sound like the fluid pump went bad? and if so where is the pump located? Or could this be an electrical/fuse problem? I could only find one other thread about this and the guy never posted a solution, plus stuff might be in a different place on the Spyder I don't know. No VFAQ on this either, and apparently 1000AAQ's is down now. I wish I had a Chilton's, but that's what you guys are for ;) Thanks.
What is the difference between a liquid and a fluid?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts