DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 Eagle Talon TSI AWD automatic and it wont go into low gear. The shifter will go into all of the other gears fine, but it wont go lower than second. You know when your in low gear how it obviously cant go back anymore, that is how it is in second gear. The car drives fine otherwise and there is no need to use low gear, but I still want to know why or how to eventually fix it. Thanks.
I've put overdrive off and it still wont go in, I thought that might be the issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Please elaborate a little bit more, from what you said you can go through 3rd and 4th good and looks like your starting off at 3rd gear and cant start at 1st or 2nd.... if that's the case im having the same problem but mine is electrical sine I installed a shift box and some of the wiring is kinda fucked up but any who, have you done a flush, change the filter, etc? If you haven't id highly recommend you to do it, also try using Mitsus SP3 A/T fluid, some people here might disagree and say you can use anything but just give it a try. Sounds to me that your clutches have already lost their integrity, also, if you have not done the ITP end clutch kit I strongly suggest you to do it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I start out in drive, but the only gear that It wont go into is first. It does go into second, it just wont go any farther back, so in other words it goes into second, but not first. I just bought the car in June and I haven't drained the fluid or changed the filter. I also have no idea when or if the previous owner ever did. I've heard that if the transmission fluid has never been changed or if it hasn't in a long time its best not to change it at all. I noticed that the transmission would not go into first when I was checking the fluid and it was about 1 and a half quarts low:eek: . The transmission seems fine other than not being able to go into low gear. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Probably your clutches are gone, have you done your end clutch kit? Pretty simple and it solves problems. But yeah, go ahead and do a flush then change your filter, dont cost alot, you should get all your shit from ITP, those guys are great for our A/T needs.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If the fluid has never been changed your not supposed to flush the transmission you can drain and then refill letting 1 or 2 quarts run through before closing the drain plug. I have another question have you noticed any problems with reverse? In the automatic transmissions i've delt with in the past when 1st is going out so is reverse, if its clutches because they use the same planetary gears. Or if no problems with reverse change the fluid and filter and if that doesn't fix your problem if you feel comfortable with it remove the valve body under the pan and look for any obstructions.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Nope, I haven't done the clutch kit, but it's something I'll be looking into. Reverse works great and so do all of the other gears, except first. I plan on draining the fluid sometime soon and replacing the filter. I will try the atf from Mitsubishi. Any suggestions on the filter? Should I get it from the dealer too? Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
261 Posts
JV stylez is COMPLETELY wrong. He obviously does not know anything about transmissions.

I think I know what your problem is. You need the remove the auto shifter handle and there will be a little plastic tab sticking up. You need to un-screw it a few turns so that the button will engine more. The button cannot click down far enough to get the shifter back into low.

Don't go changing fluid and all that stuff, it is 99% most likely a shifter connection issue.

Your clutches are probably fine.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I figured it was probably something to do with the shifter and not the transmission. I'll check it out. I didn't think that a fluid and filter change would fix the problem, I just wanted to do it anyway because I'm not sure when It was done last. Yea, the clutches probably are fine, I'm not worried about them. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know if the plastic tab does the trick. :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took the one screw out on the cover and inside there was a screw holding a white piece of plastic near the cruise control, which it is probably for and a screw going into the black plastic. Is the tab in there or do I have to actually remove the whole shifter? I removed the screw going into the black plastic and then it wouldn't shift at all so I put it back in and still no low gear. I tried loosening is slightly first but nothing happened.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The only way to get the sihfter handle off is to cut the O/D wires and re connect them when you put it back in. There is NO other way without cutting the shifter itself to get the button out. You will see the plastic tab when you remove the WHOLE handle

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Alright, so I just cut the wires in that black rubber tube that seem to be going to the overdrive button and the the shifter can come out. Once it's out I should see the tab down that hole where the shifter is right? I should know it when I see it? Thanks.
Or is it actually on the shifter?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad you solved it. I always recommend to change the end clutch pack due to the fact that its super easy and it solves alot of issues with the transmission not engaging gears. Also, DMC0162, no need to get hostile there, im just trying to throw in my $.2 cents :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im having somewhat of a problem close too that, can anyone help? I got a 1991 GSX auto i just bought. It shifts into reverse, drive all that is fine. But when you take off it feels like its taking off from a high gear. It gets up too about 3000 RPM's and it kinda just sits there and gradually goes up. When i throw it into 2nd or low I dont feel the tranny shifting or it dropping down at all. But everyone once in awhile it will shift fine go through gears then get stuck up in a high gear again? I have no lights and suggestions? It seems too be not working more than when it does

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.