DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP........OTHER DAY WENT TO PUT GAS IN MY 95 GS-T...STARTED IT UP AND TOOK OFF. WHEN I GOT THE THE GAS STATION, TURNED OFF THE CAR, I PUT GAS IN IT
( WAS NOT EVEN 2 MIN ) GOT BACK IN AND TRIED TO START IT, ALL THE LIGHTS CAME ON AND NO CRANK,THEN ALL THE LIGHT TURNED OFF IN THE CAR (RADIO,DASH LIGHTS) I OPEN THE HOOD AND CHECK THE IGNITION FUSE AND IT WAS BLOWN. I DONT KNOW WHAT THE HELL IT IS. I CHECKED THE CRANK SENSOR AND IT HAD POWER AND THEN I CHECKED THE BATT AND IT WAS ALL GOOD...... OH AND IF I PUSH START IT, IT WILL TURN ON AND MAYBE A COUPLE TIME AFTER THAT. THEN IT THE SAME THING ALL OVER AGAIN. HELP PLEASE :(

·
Registered
747 Posts
TURBO623 said:
OH AND IF I PUSH START IT, IT WILL TURN ON AND MAYBE A COUPLE TIME AFTER THAT. THEN IT THE SAME THING ALL OVER AGAIN. HELP PLEASE :(
What?!!:confused: You make it hard to help without proof-reading your question.

Blackboost has a fantastic point------- Have you worked on any wiring stuff in your car lately?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NO, I HAVENT WORKED ON ANY ELECTICAL STUFF AT ALL.....I CAN PUSH START IT AND IT WILL GO..THEN I WILL TURN IT OFF AND TRY TO START IT AGAIN AND IT WILL WORK .....IT WILL DO THAT LIKE 3 OR 4 TIMES THEN IT WONT START AGAIN ..TILL I PUSH START IT....

·
Registered
943 Posts
TURBO623 said:
NO, I HAVENT WORKED ON ANY ELECTICAL STUFF AT ALL.....I CAN PUSH START IT AND IT WILL GO..THEN I WILL TURN IT OFF AND TRY TO START IT AGAIN AND IT WILL WORK .....IT WILL DO THAT LIKE 3 OR 4 TIMES THEN IT WONT START AGAIN ..TILL I PUSH START IT....
Ugh you can type properly in your title.. but no in your posts... CAPS are annoying... taken as SHOUTING on internet...

Could be something with your starter if you havent done any wiring changes... also if you have done anything wiring wise... wire things into spare/non essential fuses... *NOT* the igition wiring... only a turbo timer truly needs to be ran off ignition wires...

*edit* bah you say right in my quote that you didnt do any wiring... so ignore the wiring comments, I will leave them for future reference though *edit*

·
Registered
489 Posts
I had the same problem excpet i was driving on the freeway.

If it is your motor/ignition fuse and it blows everytime you turn the key even to accessory mode, it is (most likely) your coil pack.

Unplug the coil pack and try to turn the key again to accessory mode. tell me what happens.

(BTW-sometimes the coil packs plastic backing comes off and it gounds somewhere else either on the intake man. or in my case the butterfly accuator on the cyclone intake. This causes the fuse to blow and lots of bitching and gripping:mad: :D )

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks man.. ill try that out today and see what happens....ill post my results later..thanks again

·
Registered
266 Posts
I know this thread is kind of old but I am having a similar problem, did you ever find out the solution? I did work on installing a gauge and hooked it up to my autometer a/f gauge for the power, which was the red wire, so maybe that had something to do with it? I can still drive my car a little bit, but the fuse blows while im driving the car, but it idles fine. I got antifreeze all over my engine bay, so I dont know if that has anything to do with it?? Someone please help...

·
Registered
9 Posts
ignition fuse

your fuel pump might be dead, my bro had the same prob on his 91 tsi, fuel pump died and wouldn't start after pump died, kept blowing the fuse and would start but then die off a role... check it out.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Re: ignition fuse

Dmitry said:
your fuel pump might be dead, my bro had the same prob on his 91 tsi, fuel pump died and wouldn't start after pump died, kept blowing the fuse and would start but then die off a role... check it out.
I will check that out, but isnt there a fuel pump relay and why would the ignition fuse go out if the fuel pump was bad? How do I know it is my fuel pump with out actually replacing it? The car does start up every time with no problem and I can hear the fuel pump when it is started, I believe it is a Walbro I bought it with the car..I dont think it is the fuel pump, but I'm not going to rule anything out. Could it have anything to do with connecting the water temp gauge to the a/f gauge? Could a bad coil pack cause this? The car acts the same until it shuts off.. I did find loose wires wrapped around the steering column, but it didnt seem to blow the fuse where it was touching already. I also found another wire, which wasnt plugged into anything so I am going to tape that up. It was getting eaten up by the powersteering belt, so maybe that could cause it?? I havent found any other loose wires , so what else could cause this??? I will probably take my car out tomorrow and see how it goes.
justin

·
Registered
9 Posts
fuse

loose wires that are not connected to anything in the engine bay might be grounding themselves out which may cause the ignition fuse to blow, it's an 30 amp ignition fuse, it would also help to find out what was done to the car and then taken out before it was sold to you.....the fuse i was talking about was the 30 amp ign fuse. to check the fuel pump get a volt meter n connect it to the fuel pump relay next to the ecu...also check the igniton fuse located next to the battery.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Re: fuse

Dmitry said:
loose wires that are not connected to anything in the engine bay might be grounding themselves out which may cause the ignition fuse to blow, it's an 30 amp ignition fuse, it would also help to find out what was done to the car and then taken out before it was sold to you.....the fuse i was talking about was the 30 amp ign fuse. to check the fuel pump get a volt meter n connect it to the fuel pump relay next to the ecu...also check the igniton fuse located next to the battery.
Where is the fuel pump relay next to the ecu? So many wires there maybe I havent even noticed it.. I have never thought it to be my fuel pump since it happen just after I tried to install the gauge and since the car still starts and runs. And I didnt expcet the ignition fuse to go out for a bad fuel pump but I guess I will find out tomorrow when I check it. The fuse that keeps going out is the 30a under the hood..Also, what I did notice before I did not hear the fuel pump when I turned the car on, but when I started it I heard it. I dont know if that makes a difference, but i will listen more closely next time. Thanks for the help.
Justin

·
Registered
943 Posts
Re: Re: ignition fuse

lljrll said:

I also found another wire, which wasnt plugged into anything so I am going to tape that up. It was getting eaten up by the powersteering belt, so maybe that could cause it?? I havent found any other loose wires , so what else could cause this??? I will probably take my car out tomorrow and see how it goes.
justin
Hrm... gray insulated wire around the PS pump? do you have a wire plugged into the PS pump at all? I believe there is a temp sender or a sender of some sort (maybe pressure) on the PS pump itself (I seem to recall something about the ECU increasing rpms to aid in PS function at low speeds or something.....?)

As far as the guages go... what is hooked up to where besides the power tapped from the AFR guage?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Re: Re: Re: ignition fuse

tekky_98_TSi said:

Hrm... gray insulated wire around the PS pump? do you have a wire plugged into the PS pump at all? I believe there is a temp sender or a sender of some sort (maybe pressure) on the PS pump itself (I seem to recall something about the ECU increasing rpms to aid in PS function at low speeds or something.....?)

As far as the guages go... what is hooked up to where besides the power tapped from the AFR guage?

No that is not the wire.. It is 3 wires that are coming from the fuse block..I think one is blue, blue/white, and black. The only thing I messed around with was the red wire on the autometer a/f gauge. The ext. temp gauge turns on with the accessories, so that shouldnt cause the ignition fuse to blow out ? At first I tried tapping into the stock gauge wire going to the water temp sensor from the ecu. It is coming out the of the thermostat housing and has 2 wires coming from it. Anyways, I accidently cut it and they came apart..opps.. I got a part from pep boys that I wired into the stock wires so I could plug the sensor back in. With out that plugged in the car it would not start at all. I plugged it in and the car starts fine, idles fine, and the fan comes on at 210 degrees, according to my water temp gauge, so I think that was fixed .. And before I broke the wiring, both wires were touching a little bit from the stock ecu water temp sensor. When this happened the car kept cranking but would not start and then i just fixed the wires and the car starts up fine.. I am going to put electrical tape on all the bare wires I found and hopefully that will fix it, but I really dont think that is the problem..Sorry for the long post, but I havent driven my car in 2 weeks trying to install this gauge and been having problems..Its hard to work on my car when the only free day I have is sundays...
Justin

·
Registered
943 Posts
So you're saying the loose wire that was getting eaten by the PS belt was a 3 wire set? blue/white black and blue? if so that sounds like front 02 wires.... if not then you lost me in that last post...

·
Registered
266 Posts
tekky_98_TSi said:
So you're saying the loose wire that was getting eaten by the PS belt was a 3 wire set? blue/white black and blue? if so that sounds like front 02 wires.... if not then you lost me in that last post...
It is not the o2 wires, but ill check on the colors to make sure..it is right over by the driver side headlight actually and ill try to take a picture of it.

Justin

·
Registered
943 Posts
drivers side on 2gs you have fog ligh..... ohhhhhhh white blue black.... fan wires are white blue and black... plugs in topside of fan.... hopefully those wires didnt get eaten... also have fog lights... (orange and black) and.... then your oil pump and pressure wires.... anddddd................ your altenator plugs.... only one REALLLY sticking out right now is the fact that the fan plug over there and that color *AND* near the PS pump....

·
Registered
266 Posts
tekky_98_TSi said:
drivers side on 2gs you have fog ligh..... ohhhhhhh white blue black.... fan wires are white blue and black... plugs in topside of fan.... hopefully those wires didnt get eaten... also have fog lights... (orange and black) and.... then your oil pump and pressure wires.... anddddd................ your altenator plugs.... only one REALLLY sticking out right now is the fact that the fan plug over there and that color *AND* near the PS pump....
I am at school now but when I get home I will check. I am almost positive it is 2 blue wires, one with a strip, and a black wire..I dont know what else could be causing this fuse to blow out only while driving...I guess ill find out tonite if anything I did helped when I take it out for a drive..
justin

·
Registered
943 Posts
lljrll said:

I am at school now but when I get home I will check. I am almost positive it is 2 blue wires, one with a strip, and a black wire..I dont know what else could be causing this fuse to blow out only while driving...I guess ill find out tonite if anything I did helped when I take it out for a drive..
justin
Dude that sounds like your fan wires... reason being...

Idling = cold = no fan....
Driving = getting hot = temp sensor turning fan on... = shorting = high current to ground on the IGN circuits since the fans only run when the ignition is in the ON position (or a TT has it energized properly)

Easy check... pop hood, look on drivers side of radiator... outside most corner of the fan bolted to it... theres a plug.... either with broken wires or missing plug for you prolly....

Hope things check out for ya... if this is the problem.... fairly easy fix I'd say ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts