DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost 4 years later and about 25,000 Miles it has come time to replace my XTD Stage 4 clutch.

It all began 4 1/2 years ago when I picked up my blown TSI AWD car. I pulled the motor out and began working on it. Before I dropped the motor back in I ended up picking up a new clutch which was a XTD stage 4 clutch off ebay for ~$170.00. I was on a budget at the time so I could not afford an ACT clutch.

I bolted the clutch to my resurfaced stock flywheel that came with the car as well. I put the motor back in, finally got the thing started and was having engagement issues. Unfortunately the motor I put together (1g rods 2G pistons) ended up cracking the oil ring on cylinder 2 within 30miles of driving. So I had to pull everything back out, during that time I ended up doing research and ended up purchasing a new clutch release fork and pivot ball. I also shimmed the pivot ball some. Anyways I had the motor bored 20 over and put it back in. Unfortunately that engine ended up spinning rod number 2 bearing after ~100miles. But the clutch engaged perfectly!

I ended up sittin on the car for a month or a month and a half because I ran out of funds and was contemplating parting the car out or selling it. But I really wanted to stick with it so I just ended up saying fuck it and picked up a JDM GVR-4 long block and dropped it in the car.

So we are about 4 years since this car has been running with the JDM engine and I cannot express how happy I have been with this clutch. I daily drove/raced this car for the last 4 years and 25,000miles. Car started out with a 16G which I ended up maxing out within a year of owning it, Clutch always held everything I could throw at it. I currently have been running the hx35 bolt on at 30psi for about 3 years now. I still can launch the car with this clutch but I cannot use the 2 step because it starts to slip badly. But launching it free footed it does fine and it holds the 30psi no lift to shifts without a problem as well.

But I recently picked up a brand new ACT 2900 for a very good price and I think it is time to retire this XTD stage 4 clutch mainly because I don't want to score and mess up my flywheel with a worn out clutch if I keep launching it and racing with it.

Anyways I highly recommend this clutch to anyone it has lasted me about as good as any 6 puck clutch out there 25,000 daily street driving is a good amount of miles for a 6puck clutch to handle and it still hasn't fully given up on me.

I also want to comment about the throw out bearing that came with this clutch kit, it seems like a lot of my friends out there that have had their ACT clutches for quite sometime their TOBs always started making some odd noises. My TOB that came with my XTD is still completely silent to this day, I am highly contemplating using the my same TOB with my ACT clutch.

Thanks for reading, I will throw up some pictures of the clutch once I pull it out of the car which should be really soon. I just want to make a couple more 3rd gear tunning passes with the XTD before I have to spend 500 miles breaking the ACT in.

·
Banned
493 Posts
Thanks for the review. I have an XTD Stage 4 clutch sitting next to me, waiting for mine to go out.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have the XTD stage 4 PP with a sprung 6 puck. I also used an OEM TOB. Holds everything I have thrown at it. Excellent clutch for the money.

·
Registered
853 Posts
There's a new XTD stage 4 or 5 in the Stealth. I don't know how it holds though as I've never driven the car with it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The only issue i've had with the xtd solid disk was after about 150-200 launches, yeah really. The splines on the hub developed some play between the disk, and input shaft. This is a normal wear pattern for a solid hub, most don't last this long.

·
Banned
493 Posts
Have this installed in my car for about 400 miles so far, love it! Ill post back when I have more miles on it. So far it's a great clutch. Great grab, feels great, and handles everything I throw at it.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
You better run this exact setup 2LiterRiceEater ! Best bang for the buck and will hold great ! Same color of pressure plate and unsprung clutch ! We've seen a member ordered a wrong kit before a mod clean this thread ... Tested and proven.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Yeah, I've been doing some research and it appears a lot of people have gotten great reviews from the stage 4 unsprung 6 puck. I'm not worried about the unsprung 6 puck, I have one in my car right now and I like it, I'm used to it.

However, I have been doing research on the XTD flywheels as well, and haven't gotten much info on how good those are... Does anbody know?

·
Banned
493 Posts
Still have my stage 4 unsprung 6 puck, daily driven with over 15k miles on it. Still holding great.

·
Banned
493 Posts
Just an update, this clutch is still going strong. Is holding my setup (in sig) at 28psi all day, and with launches. Definatly getting this clutch again.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
^ You have a few similar mods to my 1G AWD. I just installed this clutch last week, so far I'm halfway through break in. I actually like the way it drives a lot!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys I just wanted to pop in and say thanks for posting up some good reviews. I cracked the PP in my Spec stage 3 tonight in my 3g, and I don't feel like dishing out 500 bucks for an ACT right now (start my new semester in a week). After reading all the reviews on this site I'm def down to give the unsprung 6 puck a shot.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts