DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People always ask the same questions over and over, so here is a list of what you can get done.

1) Translab Shift Kit-valve body mod. Improves shifts. $50-$75

2)Alto End Clutch Kit-for the embarassing OD clutch that goes out easily in stock form. $75

3)High Stall Torque Converter-a lot of people run the stock one, but I believe it is a huge improvement and can handle the abuse better. $500

4)Add on Tranny cooler. The stock one is decent size, but buying another one to run in series with it helps as the cooler your tranny stays the better. Not often talked about, but they are only around $75-$100. You can run it on top of the stock tranny cooler or on your radiator. When using this add a little extra tranny fluid.

5)Now those are steps for upgrading a working tranny. If you are doing a rebuild from a broken one get the PTS kit from Level 10. It's expensive $450, but this kit has many upgraded clutches and gears that you cannot buy from most places. If you get this kit you do not need the alto end clutch kit as it is provided. It also comes with gaskets and other stuff you need.

6) If you are going all out with mods and you want fast times get a DSMlink. For the automatics it retains the ignition timing through shifts.

7) Another tip is when you do a torque converter swap use lock tite on the bolts. No matter how hard you bolt them down they will eventually losen up and you'll here your car rattle. That means the flex plate is coming lose from the torque converter.

8) Now I am just waiting for some company to create an aftermarket flexplate because we need a better quality one.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good info!

InvaderGST said:
6) If you are going all out with mods and you want fast times get a DSMlink. For the automatics it retains the ignition timing through shifts.
Note - AEM EMS also retains timing through the shifts for those of you with 2nd gens that may have a difficult time finding EPROM ECUs. :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure the AEM EMS is nice, but I recommend the DSMlink since it is specifically designed and created for DSM's plus $550 compared to around $1500 for the AEM. Big difference. 2G EPPROM ECU's can be gripped up for $200-$300. I have yet to see or test out the AEM EMS, but I will have to wait until next season as that is a lot of cash.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Apples to oranges, my friend.

Both the AEM unit and the DSMlink have their advantages, but I still believe that the AEM EMS is the better choice.

The AEM EMS was specifically designed for the 2G DSM. It isn't some kind of cheap universal box that you can slap on your mom's geo metro. Why do you think it's has taken so long for a 1G unit to come out? Each EMS is specificly designed for a very specific application.

Also finding 2G EPROM ECUs isn't exactly easy. I just checked ebay, thepartstrader, and a couple other resources. Found only 1. That guy believes his EPROM ECU is worth $1,299 and he said it may be a non-working ECU. So... :rollseyes:

Hands down the AEM unit has way more flexibility. You can tweak, adjust, and tune everything, not just a couple dozen values. Possibilities are endless. Other advantages:

-- As you know many 1Gs upgrade to a 2G MAS for better flow (less restriction). How about getting rid of that MAS all together? Hows that for less restriction? You can do just that with the EMS.

-- Some people love to vent the BOV to atmosphere. Remove your MAS and vent to your little hearts content without the overly rich condition side effect of the stock MAS system.

-- Wouldn't it be just peachy to have your ECU auto-tune your car while driving? Of course it would. That's why the EMS can do that.

-- Get rid of that S-AFC, boost controller, and ITC because the EMS will control it all. You can even get rid of your guages (boost, EGT, A/F, etc) if you like to live on the wild side. Oh and toss that other datalogger too. That saves somewhere in the neighborhood of $800 to $1,500 depending on how much you decide to get rid of (or not buy in the first place).

-- etc, etc.

But like I said, apples to oranges. Afterall, this thread was originally posted as a guide to help the new A/T DSMers upgrade their automagics. Good job looking out. This is just the info that newbies need. I don't want to turn this into a DSMlink vs. EMS thread. But I think "next season" you just might be pleasantly surprised. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not arguing the fact that the AEM EMS is a bad boy. I actually wanted to buy one, but after months of waiting and calling AEM monthly and still saying it isn't released yet I bought the DSMlink. Extrememotorsports.com sells EEPROM ECU's for $275 and you can find them on DSMtrader.com for around $200-$300. I know the advantages of the AEM over the DSMlink. The boost controller function and the graphics are a couple of the things DSMlink lacks compared to the AEM EMS. And the DSMlink is specifically made for the 2G Eclipses/Talon's also. Full support through a Yahoo Chat group. I am going to try the AEM next season, but my question for you is how difficult is it to setup? I think I read a review at Buscher saying that it was a pain at first, but they finally got it running right. I know what your saying though about replacing so many things. Selling the S-AFC and TMO chip I had from my previous setup basically paid for the entire DSMlink setup. I alos definitely will consider the AEM when the add on N20 sensor for the EMS gets released for it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Trans upgrade results

InvaderGST, I'm new to upgrading an auto trans, so I appreciate that upgrade list. (I had been determined to do a conversion, but gave up) Anyway, will I see an improved E.T. from just the Translab shift kit and end clutch upgrade, or do they just fortify the trans? Sorry if this is answered somewhere else, I couldn't find an answer.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The shift kit may help the time very slightly. Not much though. Maybe a quarter of a second. The end clutch will not help your time. A high stall torque converter will help the time. I'm pretty jealous that you have a 99 GSX automatic. I'm in Michigan too. If you ever want to sell it let me know!

·
Registered
430 Posts
InvaderGST said:
The shift kit may help the time very slightly. Not much though. Maybe a quarter of a second.
Yea, but I think a 1/4 sec. is a big help. You would need about 15-20 whp to make that up. 1/4 sec. is probably about right. I would say that it takes approx. .1 sec off each shift. No times to back this time up, just by the seat of my pants method.

·
Registered
850 Posts
DCJ98GST said:
1/4 sec. is probably about right. I would say that it takes approx. .1 sec off each shift. No times to back this time up, just by the seat of my pants method.
Hey, let's leave your pants out of this... :D

But seriously, thanks for that info-- this question has been asked several times in the past few weeks and this is the first time I've seen any sort of an answer to it.

I know you said you didn't have any times to back this up, but have you been to the track any? I'm asking since you have close to the same mods as me (except for the tranny work), and the same car, so I was just wondering what kinds of times I might expect. Yeah, I know-- not the most popular question around here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Car for sale

It's funny that you mention me selling it invader, because it's been posted for sale on dsmtrader for like 3 weeks, and an ebay auction for it just ended, below my reserve unfortunately. But I'll be honest, it may not be the best deal out there. Although it is a 99, it already has 72k miles, and I want around $13,000 for it, because I'm trying to buy a car with like NO blue book value, so I'm going to need a huge deposit. I still owe 12,000 on the eclipse, so thats not even much profit. Anyway, whether you're interested or not, we should meet sometime if you're close, I think I could learn a lot from you about tuning my car if I end up keeping it. I'm not exactly what you'd call an expert. Sorry to get off subject here people.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I am a bargain shopper. My 95 GS-T has less miles than your 99, but I have been trying to hunt down a good deal on a 2G Auto GSX. $13K is more money than I am looking to drop for one. Anyways you can email me anytime at [email protected]

·
Registered
11 Posts
I Was just wondering where u purchase these things from ie the shift kit the end clutch and a torque converter, and where would be the best place to have it installed.

Thanks

·
Registered
430 Posts
doug said:

I know you said you didn't have any times to back this up, but have you been to the track any? I'm asking since you have close to the same mods as me (except for the tranny work), and the same car, so I was just wondering what kinds of times I might expect. Yeah, I know-- not the most popular question around here.
I have not been to the track yet. But I plan to go as soon as I install my O2 eliminator downpipe from Rnrracing. I ordered it about a week ago. So I am thinking in about a couple weeks I will have times. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We had this discussion about two months ago about the AEM EMS and the DSMlink. I was about to try out the DSMlink and read some info on it on the Yahoo Auto DSM group. Some of big dogs out there with the auto's have confirmed and tested that on the 2G's the AEM EMS ECU is not compatible with the TCU and a bunch of different stand alone units had to be used to replace the TCU to get it to work with the AEM EMS. So whoever before was arguing about how great the AEM EMS was on this forum, I want to know why you were talking it all up in this forum when you either do not have an AEM yet or do not have an automatic tranny in your 2G DSM? I almost sold my DSMlink to buy the AEM as I found somebody selling one for $1200 to play around to see how good it actually is. Thank god I didn't. I also did some research on it before I was going to buy it. Many people say it is really nice, but not as easy to tune as it claims to be. Even Buschur racing tested the unit and said it took them a while to get it tuned.

·
Registered
274 Posts
transgo shift lab makes a shift kit for the 604 tranny in the RS/GS eclipses. it runs 30 bucks. pretty good too. you can also take the final drive gears from a stratus and replace your stock ones with these and boom, you get more umphf in your go.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What do you need a shift kit for if you are running a Dodge Neon engine? Unless you buy the turbo kit you will never make enough power to need a shift kit or any type of tranny mod. most people want to mod the tranny so that it can handle above 300HP at the wheels. Your RS will not make it there......

·
Registered
850 Posts
I'm sure everybody here wants a little extra performance no matter what they drive. And every little bits helps-- lay off the guy.

·
Registered
304 Posts
So could i just to like autozone or Kragen and ask for a Alto End Clutch Kit, and a Translab Shift Kit or where could i get them form?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts